Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my hands on a scope base for my 45-70 and 357 barrels. Should I go with the Weaver rail, if so what number rail is it? Is the NEF rail offered on the web choice a better option. Just looking for some opinions.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have used both, but perfer the H&R due to it's having more cross-cuts. Allows more options on mounting the scope.

Wally

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
The weaver #82 is the correct one, but the H&R rail is much better since it has more cross slots and the rear slot is farther back than on the weaver. The weaver rail is $7, the H&R standard rail is $13.50 plus shipping. When I need to, I use the weaver, but I cut the flat spot off the back of the rail, then redrill the 2 forward mounting holes. I've also cut additional cross slots in a few of them to make mounting scopes easier. It doesn't take long with a good file.

Tim

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've noticed that the T/C Contender base, #92-A, is also marked for a Rossi. Does anyone know if it will work for the Handi? Also, is the standard Weaver base shorter than the Ultra base?

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
The weaver #82 is the same length as the Ultra rail, but the rear cross slot is over an inch from the back of the rail which really limits mounting flexibiity..

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts