Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be having me a .17HMR/HM2 NEF Sportster. I was trying to collect suggestions for a sub $120 maybe a bit more, no lower than 12x at max. anything goes as far as brand.

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought we were against Natchez? Because they won't sell to some states out members are in, or is this a different place or site im thinkin of?
A 44 mag eh hmmmmmm what about those not on clearance.

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts
There are some here siding with those that can't buy from Natchez, that's a personal preference.... Kinda like cutting your nose off to spite your face thing....The 801048 is the 44mag that I see recommended the most at RFC, the 801056 and 801047 get some recommendations, but not near as many as the 801048.

Another great scope is the Simmons ATV, I have several of these scopes, they sell for less than $100 usually...I have one on my 17M2 Sportster...

Tim

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'check' add another tally in favor of simmons. One question though are all pre-master series under warrenty? Any tasco reccomdations ppl? BSA?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oooooooo pretty :grin: That is a great value and if it hold up to .308 then .17HMR would be a piece of cake...mmm cake :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im betting i'll need at least Med-high rings for a 40mm Obj and high for a 44mm or 50mm.

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts
Maybe, maybe not...just depends on the scope and how it's mounted...The objective size doesn't usually make any difference on a Handi/Sportster, hammer clearance and the size/position of the power ring/ocular bell is the deciding factor. The pic below is a Handi with a 50mm WTC18 mounted in medium Burris Signture Zees, use of the hammer spur is required, though.

Tim

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WTC means Whitetail Classic right? Well i can get one of them 6.5-20x40mm for $99 or $89(buyers club) for a 44mag 6.5-20x44AO ILL Mil-dot from Sportsmansguide.com

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts
I would stay away from the Simmons IR scopes, IMO and from others I've read of, recommend the 801047 or 801048 as being the best of the 44mags, the others I don't see recommended at all. If I were going to buy an IR, it would be a Mueller or better. Also, keep in mind if the 44mag scope fails on you, Simmons will replace it with a comparable scope, it probably won't be a 44mag since they are discontinued.....just a heads up.

Tim

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i've ordered from Sportsmansguide before and have a $5 off a $50 order or 10 off $100 order.
Wasn't it you who suggested the Alpen 6-24x50? cause im in the club and with the certifiacate i'll save a good amount, plus they do have a few AO 44mags not illuminated. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=195732 here.

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts
Like I said, I haven't seen any of the other 44mag scopes recommended at RFC, so you'd be on your own hook going for one of the others different than those 2 I mentioned earlier. Another point is the ATV is more suitable as far as size is concerned specially for the capability of a 17M2, but the 17Hmr can benefit from a 6.5-20x, probably just depends on what you intend to do with it and your shooting needs For a carry rifle and hunting squirrels, the ATV would be my choice, but if you're going to shoot a lot of paper, the 44Mag would probably be a better choice in 6.5x20x. Haven't seen much on the Alpens, what little I have seen was good, not that particular model, though, FWIW.

Tim

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm well I know a forum member who bought one and loves it dearly. I like it it retails for $180 usually but $99 from SPortsmansguide.

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts
??? Don't know, never had one..... :?

Tim

1 - 20 of 40 Posts