Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 lb .338 ordered for use up there. I like variable power scopes. What power ranges are you guys using. Do you use QD rings and open sights on your rifles?

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
My Ruger M-77 in .338 has a 1.75X5 scope on it. I carry it at the 1.75 setting. It's easier to aquire a good sight picture at the lower setting fast when need be. For longer ranges there is always time to grank it up.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Cobrad, My favorite is the 2-7 leupold. Hope this helps, Byron

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I guess it would depend on the shooing you plan on doing. Longer range 200 to 300 yards, I would get the 3.5X10 or the 2X7. Medium to short range up close to 200 yards 1.5X5 or a 1X4 and of course make it a Leupold. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
scopes

A 6 pound .338 will be quite a kicker, I have a 2X7 on my winchester that weighs alot more than 6 pounds. I don't use the QD or see through rings, a good 3X9 scope would probably be fine .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided on a 1.5-6 Nikon Monarch Gold. 4" eye relief throughout the power range, and a 64' FOV.

·
Registered
44 Posts
:) Nikon?? :)

Just make sure you paint a gold ring on the objective end so the locals don't give you a hard time... LOL

Just playin'.... Everybody owns stock in Leupold up here... I think it has something to do with receiving your PFD check, you have to own a Leupold or something...

- Clint

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leuy sets the standard, but there are those that exceed the standard :grin: I haven't owned a Leuy yet, something else always comes along that seems to fit the bill just a little better. The Nikon has more eye relief at the higher magnification range, where I need it, and greater FOV at the lower end. It is heavier, but that is the trade off. The big question is will the Nikon hold up as well as a Leuy.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
cobrad said:
The big question is will the Nikon hold up as well as a Leuy.

As long as you don't shoot it much, the Nikon should hold up. :-D JOKE :D

I am sure you will do just fine with the Nikon. I am just a die hard Leupold fan. It is just hard to change from something that has served and worked so well. :D

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I use a 2 1/2 X Weaver & it does fine for me. Of course I'm down in the banana belt and don't worry about long shots....

-WH-

·
Registered
295 Posts
alaskacajun said:
.... Everybody owns stock in Leupold up here...
Not quite everybody. Leupold rested on their laurels for awhile and a lot of others caught up and even passed them. I've got a few others (Nikon, Weaver GS, Swaro, etc.) that are every bit as tough and better optically than the VariX III's I have. Maybe Leupold will move back out in front with the new models they're coming out with though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts