Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new scope for a 12" contender .22 barrel. I figure the very max range I will be shooting is 200 yards, but typically 50-100 yards.
I would like a 2-7x (or something close), thinking it will give me the adjustability for any range I want to shoot at and allow for a bench rest accuracy shooting.
In my research, I noticed there is not a ton of options out there. I currently have a 2x Leupold, and while it is a nice scope for hunting, it is not the greatest for longer-range or accuracy testing. I mainly have used Leupold, Nikon, or Vortex scopes, but I didn't see a pistol scope offering from Vortex and am not well versed in some other offerings. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience they would be willing to share?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Burris 2-7X seems to enjoy a good following. I’ve only used their 2X and 1-4X (or thereabouts). Older models are Made in USA, newer one are from the Philippines(?), IIRC. The Burris handgun scopes enjoy a good reputation for quality and durability.

I have an as-new Leupold 2,5-8X that I scooped off of eBay for a bargain price. I haven’t really used it yet. I’ve used their 2X, and been happy with that. Leupold also enjoys a great reputation for quality, durability, and warranty.

Bushnell “Trophy” series 2-6X seems to enjoy a very good reputation, at a slightly lower price point. Older ones were Made in Japan, seems to me that the newer ones are China, or similar.

I just picked up a NOS Weaver “Classic” 2.5-8X, Made in Japan. Looks like a beauty, and I’ve had great service from the Weaver Classic line, on a 10/22.

I’ve always had an aversion to Simmons scopes, but for no good reason! I do remember J.D. Jones endorsing them, for use on his “hand cannons.” I don’t know what that really means, with marketing being what it is.

There seem to be some decent quality scopes out there, with good warranties, that won’t break the bank.

I may have just been very lucky, but I’ve had good luck w/used pistol scopes. Between eBay, GunBroker, and the Classified here at GBO (among other forums), there are some quality scopes available from $100-200. Beyond that, the sky is the limit!

If they’re in your price range, I don’t think that you could go wrong with a Burris, or a Leupold. They both have a good reputation for free repairs, even if you’re not the original owner. Might want to double-check the fine print prior to purchase, just to be sure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try mounting a 3-9x40 rifle scope on it. Once you get use to the difference of shooting that scope move up to a better one.
I hunt groundhog with a multitude of Contender pistols. Pistol scopes are a big disadvantage once you start stretching shoots out past 175 yards.
My newest barrel is a 16.5 inch MGM in . 222 Remington. I changed it up by mounting a 4-12x40 rifle scope with a pistol grip. Took some getting use to it but now I'm thinking of converting some other calibers over to rifle Scopes.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a 2.5x8 Weaver on a XP .221, a Busnell 2x6 on a 17AH, a 2x7 Burris on a 14" 17 HMR. The Weaver isn't bad but the other 2 are lacking and I find them to be a handicap. I have a 14" charger with a 10x SWFA MOA MOA. Its very nice. I've shot that one to 350 in paid to enter match's. I wish the 10x was a 12x.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Crimson Trace has a new 2.5x8 BDC pistol scope out. I bought one about 2 years back when they came out. Great scope. Natchez Shooting Supplies has them for around $330.00
It is a very good scope and good warranty.
Natchez also carries the Weaver 2x6 pistol scope which is a great entry level and I have two of them on a .375 JDJ and my .223 14" barrels and they have been shooting great for about 10 years.
Mike
Natchez supplies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Crimson Trace has a new 2.5x8 BDC pistol scope out. I bought one about 2 years back when they came out. Great scope. Natchez Shooting Supplies has them for around $330.00
It is a very good scope and good warranty.
Natchez also carries the Weaver 2x6 pistol scope which is a great entry level and I have two of them on a .375 JDJ and my .223 14" barrels and they have been shooting great for about 10 years.
Mike
Natchez supplies
Hows the glass quality? I picked up a crimson trace red dot for my boys shotgun and am thinking of getting one for my shotgun. I've been impressed so far with CT's optics. Optics planet has them on sale right now for under 250.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts