Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my son and I are in the woods hunting and I remembered hey I need to turn the power down on my scope. Well I turned it from 12 down to 4. I got a little bored and decided to see how it looked in the woods up high so I turned it all the way up to 16 looked through it and started to turn it back down and guess what? It will not go any lower than 10 now. This is not the most expensive scope in the world, it is a BSA Contender 4-16X40. THis scope has only been on my .308 Handi for a little over a month and approximately 30rds fired with it. I was wondering would the opening and closing of the action have led to this? Any ideas? What a thing to happen on this the opening day of our gun season with my new rifle.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts
Sorry, BSA doesn't have a bad reputation for no reason, but the good news is they have excellent customers service from the many reports of bad scopes being replaced IF it's still under warranty, so ship it off to em , then sell the replacement. In the mean time, look for a scope with a better track record, browse the Optics Forum for some recommendations.

The bad scope has nothing to do with the rifle, I've got over 30 Handis with scopes on em, have never had a scope fail due to closing the action, after all, that's what "shockproof" means. ;)

Tim

http://www.bsaoptics.com//warranty.aspx

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not blaming the rifle at all. Today was it's first trip to the woods and man I sure liked how it carried my topper hunting instead of my others guns. I really enjoyed it. My scope is not under warranty anymore but I shot them an email anyway. Yep I'm currently shopping right now for a replacement.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts
Matt, for the 308, a 2-7x or 3-9x is more than enough scope for any big game hunting, I've used a 2-7x on a 308 BLR for well over 20yrs for deer and elk out to 350yds, never felt the need for more powerful glass. How much money can you afford, maybe we can give you some suggestions for your price range. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put this scope on the rifle because I had it and I was excited to shoot the rifle. I had it on my old enfield 303, a 10/22, and my marlin .22 and man it was an awesome scope. It will probable go back on the 10/22 as all it sees is target shooting. I'm looking for a scope $150 or less. I just can see putting a lot in it now. I wish I could find an old Tasco like my son has on his 30/30 it is great but is old.

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
that's  why I like fixed power scopes  2.5X,4X,6X Redfields and Leupolds  but to each his own IMHO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep Foggy right now I'm thinking 4x32. I think it will fit this rifle really well. Especially since our shots will be under 200yds on a rare occasion and mostly under 100.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hickory
I find that I use a 2.5X the most. I'am fixin to put a 6x Redfield on a .223 Ultra I traded for. Should work good for punchin papre and Woodchucks. To me a fixed power is lest to go worng IMHO. Buy the best you can afford weaver is a good reasonble priced. I'am not bragging but alot of my rifle have scopes on them that cost as much or more then the rifle.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Hickory ,

I found that i did well with the Walmart sold Nikon 4x 32 (or it might have been 4x40)

Anywho ... i mounted it to a mini 30 ....never a hiccup, clean good light grabbing glass that i would recommend ... and best of all , found at most any Wally world For around 100 bucks or less ... :)

Regards,

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
There are a lot of people that think they need a high powered scope for their rifle. They are much better off to get a 2X - 7X or at most a 3X - 9X. If you are going to get a cheaper scope, then a fixed 4X would be enough. You do not have a power ring to go bad and generally do not have an AO to mess with. Less to go wrong. Even on a varmint rig a 10X or at most a 14X is plenty. Even with a 4X a deer at 200 yards will seem as though it is at 50 yards...plenty. It generally gives a wider field of view too. ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I keep seeing higher and higher magnification scopes on my buddies rifles and keep scratching my head in wonder. (Yeah I went through it too when I was young.) But in reality a 3-9 is more than most hunters need. Higher magnification is great for sightiing in, but in the field my scopes rarely are moved above minimum power. Most of my deer have been shot at 2 or 3 power depending on the scopes. My favorite scopes right now are the Nikon Prostaff 2-7 (@ $130 and available anywhere) and the Nikko Stirling Nighteater 1.5-6 ($93 plus shipping from Legacy Sports).

Leon

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think I'm going to Wally World this afternoon to look at the Nikon 4x32 I really like the sound of it and I can put it on today and sight in tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
LHitchcox said:
I keep seeing higher and higher magnification scopes on my buddies rifles and keep scratching my head in wonder. (Yeah I went through it too when I was young.) But in reality a 3-9 is more than most hunters need. Higher magnification is great for sightiing in, but in the field my scopes rarely are moved above minimum power. Most of my deer have been shot at 2 or 3 power depending on the scopes. My favorite scopes right now are the Nikon Prostaff 2-7 (@ $130 and available anywhere) and the Nikko Stirling Nighteater 1.5-6 ($93 plus shipping from Legacy Sports).

Leon
Higher magnification scopes with long eye relief are great when used properly...and I enjoy their benefits over lower power scopes...but my style of hunting and hunting area dictates this...Besides being a personal preference ...You need to match your scope to the terrain,environmental conditions or hunting style...I never needed any scope above 9x for many years and rarely used anything above 6x...but at that time I was mainly in the woods with little open fields & meadows...and shots were rarely over 150 yards...Now...I set up on more edges and points over looking vast expanses..and watch the wind closely..and move frequently as needed...Also a deer standing at a field/wood line at first light/ last light at 300 yards is more easily seen with a 12x-16x scope as compared to a 4x scope...and with antler point restrictions in place in many areas...the higher magnification will help a person determine if it is a legal buck to shoot or not...Guessing doesn't cut it...and some states have hefty fines...so you have to know for sure if it's legal...While shooting at long distances may not be for every one...some of us are more than capable of hunting this way...and have practiced shooting till capable of it...The old saying comes to mind on this issue...It's better to have it & not need it...than it is to need it and not have it...when a deer is in your sites

Mac

·
Registered
506 Posts
BSA has a lifetime warranty on most of their scopes. Are you sure yours is out of warranty?

Go with the Nikon you will be happy. The only BSA's I've had any luck with are the more expensive european models. Although I do have a 4-16x40 contender on a 6.5 lb 7mm rem mag. I was doing load development and ordered a leupold VX3 for it. I had loads worked up but the scope hadn't come in so I put the BSA on there to test some loads. So far it has held up to some decent recoil. I'll be hunting with that rifle tomorrow through Thursday so I hope it will survive at least that long LOL!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Nikon 4 x 32 says rimfire on it at wally world. Will it work on my .308 or will it shake it apart. I know about the paralax being different how much differance will this make?

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts
I suspected the WM scope was a rimfire, the Nikon Buckmasters is a 4x40. I would contact Jon at The Optic Zone, he's real familiar with most optics and would answer your question, you can post in the Optics forum here too. I'm sure if you order a Buckmasters from him today or tomorrow, he might be able to get it to you this week if he has one in stock.

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/customer_service.aspx

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3605

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I keep a Iron sighted 30/30 behind the truck seat when I hunt for this very reason.
If need be I will hike back out and hunt with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was glad my son was with me with his trusty 30/30 also. If I don't get my rifle sighted in Tomorrow, I'll be carrying his on Wed. morning. It sure worked good for me last year.

Matt

1 - 20 of 32 Posts