Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Fist time poster, long time reader! GREAT SITE! I have a few questions: Homework is complete, I've decided on the Super Blackhawk 7 1/2 incher (KS47N) for my .44 magnum big game hunting tool.
Can a scope be mounted on this model? Is it hard to do? Does it require any smithing? Will the scope and mounts hold up to the recoil of the mighty .44?
I realize it's a lot of questions, but you all give the best answers. Thanks in advance!
Jason

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stoots,
If you haven't already purchased your gun, you might want to look in the classifieds. I noticed a super blackhawk "hunter" for sale. This will allow you to mount a scope directly to the barrel lug simply by using the Ruger rings. No need for a base, and it will eliminate the need to remove the rear sight. It will also make it much easier to remove the scope and go back to the iron sights should you choose. If I were in the market for a super blackhawk, this is the way I would go.

I would also highly recommend the Burris Zee rings, with the pos-align inserts. Although I am not positive thay make them for the Rugers. I just moved a scope from my .44 mag Anaconda to my 7-30 Waters Contender barrel. Haven't had a chance to shoot the Contender, due to all this snow, so I can't give a first hand report on how they perform just yet. However, when I had the scope mounted on the Anaconda I did have a little bit of a problem. Had to shim the scope to get it on target, and even then had to use up all the vertical adjustment to get it on target. The pos-align inserts should make this less of an issue. Plus they just "seem" to hold the scope more securely. Lastly they eliminate the need to lap the rings.

Welcome to the board and best of luck with your .44.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I mounted a scope on my SBH using the Burris Triple Ring setup. Had to drill and tap the mounting holes but that is not a particularly hard challange. Just make sure you turn the tap back for every 1/4 turn of new threads, and use Do-Drill tap lubricant. Brownells carries all the required items.

·
Registered
31 Posts
scope mounting a ruger SBH

In my opinion, you can't beat the SSK industries T'SOB scope base with their 3 matching rings. Drill, tap a couple holes and it's one set-up thats hard to match. Looks as well as it performs. Machining and fitting is impeccable. The ring / base set-up was made to take the beating of the .44.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I sent my Ruger .44 Bisley to E. Arthur Brown for their mount and tri-ring system. They redrill and use bigger screws for more surface area and it is rock solid. They're experts on Rugers and do a great job at a great price. Check 'em out at

www.eabco.com/

Good honest folks. You'll like their service.

:cb2: And by the way, hope you really enjoy your .44 as much as I do. I had to get another .44 Bisley to shoot w/o a scope. And then another . . . and another . . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts