Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nikon BDC scope with 40mm objectives hits the hammer on the handi when mounted on the weaver mounts that are supposed to work for 40 mm scopes..... ??
would it be best not to put higher mounts/rings on it to keep it low over the bore... or wwould it hurt anything to cut of part of the hammer to clear the scope ocular housing..

it is just barely hitting the thing....
shucks.
dk
thanks to all
dk

·
Super Moderator
51,156 Posts
See the low profile scope mounting links in the FAQs.

Tim

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
qd2 : looked at that afterward and got it trimmed back some.. what extension was used on that ? I had a couple here that would not fit easily, and it seemed the one there came straight off the side without raising the clearance problem at all..
dk

·
Super Moderator
51,156 Posts
Depends on which link you looked at, the the first one is with a Winchester M94 hammer extension, requires annealing, drilling and tapping the hammer, you can also modifiy the hammer so the H&R extension sits lower on the hammer. Another option which I've been doing lately is to modify the H&R hammer extension itself by changing(grinding) the shoulder height so it sits lower on the hammer, then just grinding the hammer spur so it's not as tall. One thing you have to be aware of, is if you get the hammer extension too low, it will hit the barrel release. :-\

There are a multitude of options, you just have to figure out which way you want to go. Depending on the scope and how much you remove from the hammer spur, you can go as low as extra low rings sometimes, yet other times, you don't need to change the hammer at all. I've mounted a 6.5-20x50MM Simmons WTC18 in medium rings without any changes due to the small power ring and position of the scope.

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts