Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the rings that come with the T3? I've heard some "iffy" statements on them. Do they move/slide around? Mine are the plain rings for the dovetail with a screw on the right side to hold them down.

ngh

·
1,112 Posts
I could not trust marrying up my rifle to a Zeiss with those cheap factory Tikka rings. If money is EXTREEMELY tight with you, then maybe try 'em. But I highly reccomend spending $40 or so and get quality rings like Warnes or Talleys. Peace of mind goes a long long way here.

If you do take my opinionated advise, upon getting the Warnes or Talleys, do a side by side comparison. Warnes & Talleys have the torx screw heads plus twice as many as the Tikkas. As you well know, the Tikkas have the Allen heads. Easier to round out when torque'en them down tight. Notice how soft the metal is on the Tikka screws also.

I have heard of guys who use the Tikka rings with no problems, but I think they are using 'em on lower recoiling rifles and/or simpley have not put numerous rounds through them.

Spend the $40 and be done with it. JMO

·
Super Moderator
51,144 Posts
I agree, the Tikka rings may work fine, but I just didn't care for the cheap screws they use on em, those on the SS model are a bit bright and cheap looking in addition to being allen head instead of torx. I've read numerous complaints of the screw heads wallowing out, both here and on other boards, so I went with low Tally Lightweights.

Tim

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ditto the Talley Lightweights. I tried the factory rings, my zero changed and I broke off one of the soft screws. I switched to the Talleys and they are solid and trustworthy. Venison in the freezer! Blessings, Rev

·
Registered
195 Posts
Also had trouble with the Factory scope mounts. Put on a pair of Weaver bases and rings and can get the advertised inch group using Rem. Core Lokts.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking of Leupold quick release bases and rings. Don't know why... no iron sights so no need for QR. I guess regular weaver style rings will fit on the dovetail on the receiver?

ngh

·
Super Moderator
51,144 Posts
No, they won't, there's no cross slots and it's not the right size.

Tim

·
Registered
371 Posts
You can buy a picatinny rail from Beretta which screws to the top of the receiver. These are the same ones used on the super varminter and cost the princely sum of $80. I bought one with the idea of using QR rings so that I could swap scopes. That idea got shelved and my 223 has the std rings, no probs after 2 years use. My 308...ahh, had to go for the Talleys which, as others have found, got me a huge improvement in accuracy. Why European gun builders, Tikka, CZ etc insist on that silly dovetail design is beyond me. The Weaver type is so much better, both CZ , Tikka, Sako make superbly accurate rifles with air rifle scope mounts.....mmmmm.

·
1,112 Posts
Tim, we should also mention the cosmetics in the Talleys is sweet. IMO, they look better than the Warnes.

Close ups...

Tims with Talley lightweights (not dovetail mounted, even better)

Mine with Warnes (dovetail)
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/379Peterbilt379/IMG_0256.jpg

·
Super Moderator
51,144 Posts

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Burris Picatinny/Weaver bases($18 at Midway) and Leupold QRW rings(on sale for $35 locally last year) on my stainless/laminated T3-----works great and looks good. Scope is a Ziess Conquest.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok... I'm going to go with Leupold QRW rings and the appropriate bases. Which ones fit the Tikka T3? The lists I've found don't list my rifle. I've been told the A-bolt models fit... help...

ngh

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really liked the idea of the Talley one-pieces... but, I intend this rifle to be a "traveling" rifle. I think I'll go with the QRW so I can keep two scopes ready in case one is lost or fails. Also will work if I want to sight in one for 165's and one for a lighter bullet. Probably will go with one "good" scope and a somewhat cheaper backup. Depends on what I can sneak by the wife!!!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok... I found the bases and rings for my Steyr almost immediately. I can't seem to find the Tikka listed at SWFA or on the Leupold mount selector. Help!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used the standard 2 piece leupold base and standard rings. At midway it says the bases are gloss but I think they look more like a matte finish and match up perfectly with matte rings and the finish on my blued T3 varmint. I do not think leupold offers the quick release bases for the Tikka.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi All,

Reading this thread has made a couple of questions pop into my head:-

1) The old Tikka and Sako mounts were of high quality and not cheap to buy. So did these cheap rings appear witht eh berretta take over?

2) Soft Cap head screws? seems like cheap bulk purchase from somewhere like India? Anyone know who supplies them?

3) Those Tally's I see you all raving about look like the ones Savage used to supply which I found fiddly yo set up and were not removable without completely upsetting the scope set up. Sorry but to my eye they are bulky and distract from clean lines. So what IS the attraction?

4) I see a sum of $40 mention for Quality mounts? :eek: sorry but here that would not even buy a set of the alloy Sportsmatch mounts for an Airgun. As you may tell I don't rate the Sportsmatch stuff feeling it's cheap and nasty and certainly not up to withstanding recoil. The old Parker-hale mounts were better but I prefer to use types whenever possible.

As to prices for comparison, I looked up Warne's as they are offered here in the UK. Tikka fixed 1" rings are £49:99 ($99:98US). Normal Steel bases are £25 ($50 US) and fixed 1" Low/ med/ High rings are £33:99 ($67:98 US). Now my preferred mount set up are Apel and have a couple fo rifles set up with the Fixed or roll off set up. These are steel and have a recoil stud and return to zero if the scope is removed then put back on for any reason although Apel do not advertise tham as such and have windage adjustment in them. Unfortuneatly they cost £150 ($300 US) so I doubt would favor with those who like the Tally's.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree the prices in UK/Europe are crazy... Looked at some mounts for the Blaser with the Zeiss rail (I think it's Zeiss or is it Swarovski) a while back and they were in the 350Euro range. That's $500 or more... I can get a new rifle for that price... That's why I'm not trying to go up to the Tikka mounts... I think they are the Optilock or something like that and they are serious $$$. I just want good brand name warn type with quick release rings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts