Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a single barrel shotgun for squirrel hunting, and my eyes are getting bad. Often, when I see that squirrel up there, and try to put the shotgun bead on it, everything gets kinda blurry, and my bead wanders. And sometimes, the squirrel is actually wandering.

I know it sounds insane, but has anybody ever considered putting a 2x or 2.5x compact scope on their shotgun for squirrel hunting? I think it would be clumbsy on a 12 gauge, but on a little .410 or 28 gauge or light 20 gauge, it might be pretty nifty.

I guess also that due to the limbs, leaves, etc., some careful thought would have to usde to pick out just the right recticle. A thin cross hair may be "lost" in the limbs. A thick cross hair may block out too much of the squirrel. Maybe a post and bead? Or maybe one of those scopes with cross hairs that have a round circle in the middle?

Thanks for all information and advice.

Mannyrock

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. Make it work for you. I have a scope on an 870 and put it on because I was getting tired of missing turkeys at 20 yards watching the wad go by them. They are DRT at 50yds but you have to put a fine bead on them out too 25.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Great idea. I want to try the Dead Ringer Duck Buster fiber optic sights.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
A peep sight would sharpen the front sight and the squirrel too.
And a peep keeps the neat lines of a single shot intact.

Oh, make the front sight a fiber optic for low light situations.

·
Registered
315 Posts
A friend of mine put a scope on a 20 gauge o/u for picking squirrels off around his birdfeeder, odd looking but effective! My .410 of choice for red squirrels invading the yard is this one: http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/539/medium/IMG_04142.JPG It also shoots slugs for the invading woodchucks!

Here is my original .410 slugger: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8250/8629385051_3d83813a4d.jpg

Both are cut back to cylinder bore, so birdshot patterns are iffy past 15-18 yards, but they work on red squirrels pestering the house!

Scott B.

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
If it helps kill limb rats go for it. If you do how would you sight it in ? I think I would set up a good size target with an aiming point then shoot and adjust until I could shoot until a hole appears where the cross hairs meet.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not crazy at all mannyrock. I know a guy that uses a low power scope on his shotgun for everything, including GROUSE. I don't think I'd want to hunt grouse with a scope sighted shotgun, but it works for him. Even if others said it was a crazy idea, if it keeps you hunting, who cares.

Bob

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Ithaca37 said:
Not crazy at all mannyrock. I know a guy that uses a low power scope on his shotgun for everything, including GROUSE. I don't think I'd want to hunt grouse with a scope sighted shotgun, but it works for him. Even if others said it was a crazy idea, if it keeps you hunting, who cares.

Bob

MannyRock!

Did you do it? Put an optic sight on your squirrel gun?

If so, how'd work out? :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m in the same boat, my eyes are sharp at distance but when I try to aim rather than point a shotgun I get that same “target drift” effect too. I have scoped a lot of the shotguns that I specifically aim with fine results.

One thing I did notice is that I feel the recoil much more after I did scope them. Believe it is a head position issue. I had one mild kicking 20 gauge that turned into a little beast when I first scoped her. I was getting nasty face slap because her straight stock was fine for shooting the bead but my cheek was off it a little to get proper eye position on the scope. I restocked her with a raised comb stock and she returned to being a kitten even with the biggest high brass turkey loads.
A red dot scope is more forgiving with parallax errors; you might look at one of those rather than a scope too. No magnification, but it puts the target and the reticule all in one focal plane.

·
Registered
380 Posts
From the "For what it's worth" department, I put a cheapo red dot sight on my pump 410 for just that reason. May not be the best answer, and it may look funny, but the squirrels don't laugh at it. They just crawl into the game pouch and take a nap. ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a scope on a 870 12ga. Sighted at 50 yards using a poly choke II. I loaned it out and my friend killed a boar with it.
I never hit more than paper but it did good at that. I took it off for birds and just never put it back on. Ohhh but the day is coming!!!!!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
A scoped turkey gun is deadly on squirrels. Mine is an 870 in 12 ga. It has a padded cheek piece and an Indian Creek choke. I topped it with a Leupold 2x7 shotgun scope. Works for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an 870 20ga that has had a leupold 2-7 on it since my first turkey season 20 years ago. After that I realized how awesome it was for squirrels. It never goes above 2x but it sure is handy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great info guys.

Squirrel season has opened here, but it was 94 degrees yesterday afternoon!

Think I'll wait a bit.

Mannyrock

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish I could post the photo of me with a big turkey (I'm holding it by the neck on my shoulder, and the tail feathers are brushing my knee). Also in the picture is my Stoeger 2000 12 gauge auto shotgun with a 1.5- 4X scope on it. If it worked for a turkey, it would work for squirrels. You can get a recticle that is broad until it gets close to the crosshairs. It gets thinner there for fine work. My recticle is just the usual kind, and it works fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can see that Steoger 2000 turkey gun with the scope on line in a back issue of Field and Stream Friday Gunfight. My name is John so you'll know which one is mine. I'm famous, actually it's my shotgun that's a little bet famous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts