Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Marlin 1894P .44 mag. My dad thinks I should use open sights, but I would like a scope. I'm am using my gun for Caribou and Moose. Any suggestions on what I should use? Thank you for your help. :D

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
if i were you...

i would trust in your father's guidance and experience. i am sure he is familiar with the area you would hunt and which would be more of an advantage for you. aside from that, the gun your talking about is a handy ( and nice ) gun. a scope adds weight and (in my opinion) ruins how easy it is to handle. good luck either way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The whole purpose of the "P" series is to have a short, light, FAST handling rifle. Too, the rifle is not stocked for a scope, it will cheek and line up with the open sights.

The 1894 is a 44 mag, not a long distance number. You no doubt have young eyes that can work the open sights, I agree with Dad. Let it be.

Coug

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Just for grins, have ya considered a tang or peep sight? Better sights than barrel mounted, and faster when ya get used to them without the extra weight and unbalanced feel of a scope??

Butler Ford

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I've never seen tang or peep sights. Do I have to have a gunsmith install them? Is there someplace on the web where I could see them?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. My dad and I looked at the sights and they look like a good way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
:D Chris, I'm just tickeled to death to be able ta help. Good luck with whatever you and your dad decide.

Your Pard

Butler

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Well

Depends on who's buyuing the scope. If you are buying it, want it, think it will aid you in making a clean kill on the animals you are after, then by all means put a scope on it. If your dad is paying for it, then I guess you don't get the scope.

Come on guys, just how heavy are the scopes you guys are using? I can't see how adding a small variable or fixed power scope will add all that much weight. How much does a Leupold vari X II weigh? Less than a pound right? So just how is this going to make the 94P not as fast and handy for a young man to hunt with it?

Coug, not stocked for a scope? It's drilled and tapped for one isnt it? Marlin must a forgot to change the stock :shock: . I bet chris p is a bit younger than most of us guys. Do some weight liftting for pete's sake so you can carry that heavy scope around. :-D
markc

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a XS ghost sights and scout scope base on my Marlin 1894C 357mag. They are made by Ashley Outdoors. They ghost ring sights work good for me. I have Warne QD rings to go on the scout base and have a Leopold 2.5 IER scope on order. Here is their web site at :) www.ashleyoutdoors.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mark c I am pretty tough I am a dog musher and I carry 40 pound dog food bags. I get paid pretty well with that job and i also work for another man. I am going to by the scope with my PFD (Permant Fund Dividend). :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Alright Chris p

I figured you were not as old as some of the codgers on this board. I have one lever gun with a scope and one without, and I love em both and have killed game with both. What ever works best for YOU, is what you should go with. Happy hunting.
markc :grin:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Peep sights...

I have a Williams peep sight on my 1894 and can shoot better with it at distances UNDER 150 yards than I can with my SCOPED .25-06. It's a matter of ease of handling, quick sight picture and simply being used to it.

Here's the Williams, which I didn't see mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Plainsman

Do those williams peeps come with different sized openings to look through, or are they all the same? I would like to try one on my 1894, but the front sight is poor too atleast to me.
markc :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the Leopold 2.5x IER scope today and mounted it on the 1894C 357mag. It is a slick set-up. Went to the range today and sighted it in for 75yds. You get a fast sight picture when you bring the gun up. This is going to be my coyote gun while calling. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts