Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I posted this question over on the Lever action forum also. I have an 1895 Marlin 45-70 that is a great shooter and a real thumper. The problem is the scope mounting system - it sits too high for me. Part of the problem is the scope system and the other part is the drop in the stock. My cheek barely touches the stock. Does anyone make a replacement with less drop at the heel than the original stock? Has anyone added a pad to the comb to bring it up? Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Whose mount system is currently on the rifle?? What type scope?? I have never used the neoprene pads on butt stocks my self but have seen them used. They are a bit 'sticky' on a heavy kicker it can lead to problems. A bit of 'Slick Ease' from Brownells should cure that though. I have used the pistol grip neoprene pads and found them quite useful..good luck from the gunnut69

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have a Weaver 1 pc base (& rings) and an older 4 X weaver scope. This setup has been rock solid for 15 years. I know I can lower the scope by lowering the mount but I know it won't be enough. I think Redfield used to make a scope with an oval bell at the far end of the scope. Maybe this would allow a lower scope setting. As for the neoprene pads, I've not seen them but someone used to make a leather pad with an adhesive on the back. They looked kinda goofy but we're going for functionality here. Have any idea what the lowest base and ring setup is? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I would say the lowest base-ring combo would be the low weavers or the talleys. The talley rings aren't the lowest but the base is thinner than the weaver. The oval on the redfields was on the ocular lens(rear lens). You might try a weaver 1.5-4.5 or any of the low range variable scopes with the straight front as opposed to even your weavers front bell. I've use the V4.5 weaver(old model steel tube) for years with perfect satisfaction.. good luck from the gunnut69

1 - 4 of 4 Posts