Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a scout style scope mount for the handi-rifles that uses weaver style rings?

I've got a Williams WGRS peep sight mounted on my 45-70, it uses the two rear scope mounting holes. This leaves the forward scope mount hole unused along with the two holes from the factory rear sight. I've been thinking (this usually isn't good) that it would be cool to turn my Handi-Rifle into a scout rifle type setup. I would use quick detatch rings and be able to use the peep sights or the forward mounted scope whenever I wanted to.

Thanks!
Slufoot

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
See the Scout Mount link in the FAQs, there's also a link on Peep and Firesights in there too. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
The weaver mount for a Thompson Contender is the proper raidus for the "bull barrel" handi's, so it is an easy job to drill and tap the barrel for that mount. This is a 22 Mag with the mount and a 2.5X pistol scope. Larry

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks quickdtoo, I read the FAQ's and there is a picture of a rifle that you had posted with a long, 10" I think, weaver base. I found a link to the base from Midway and it's a B-Square but it says it's been discontinued.

trotterlg, That rifle looks great and is what I'm wanting to accomplish with mine.
Is the barrel diameter on your 22 Mag. the same as the 45-70 barrels?
Did you have to shim the front of the base to allow for barrel taper?
How much did it cost to have the barrel drilled and tapped?
Did your barrel come with sights and if so were you able to use the rear sight screw holes?
Anything else you can tell me about your experience with this mount will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Slufoot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts