Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a Sears lever action in Winchester .30-.30. I believe that this gun was made by Winchester for Sears. The gun is in "like new" condition and possibly has never been fired. It is a "top eject" model. Once I saw the condition I couldn't pass it up. Of course I don't need another gun, but.....

Here's my questions; can anyone verify that the Sears lever guns were made by Winchester. And if so, does anyone know what year Winchester changed from "top eject" to "side eject".

Another question: this is my first .30-.30, so I know nothing about the caliber. Is there only one length of cartridge available for this caliber. I also have a Marlin 1894CB in .38 Special and that cartridge is much smaller than the .30-.30. With the .30-.30 are you stuck with using only the more expensive ammunition.

Thanks, JR

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Sears Winchester lever action

YES, the Sears lever action .30-30 rifles were indeed manufactured for Sears under the "Ted Williams" brand name as Model 54. They are an almost exact parts interchangeable copy of the standard Winchester 94 20" barreled carbine except that the barrel muzzle is a 1/2" longer, making the magazine tube look shorter. I had two of them years ago, and can confirm the parts interchangebility. They came in both plain hardwood and walnut stocks.

The Winchester Angle Eject 94 models came out in the early-to-mid 1980's as I recall. I've never seen an angle eject Sears lever action, or for that matter, after the mid 1980's any new ones, so I imagine they were discontinued.

Your 94 carbine can handle any storebought .30-30 ammo. They nominally come in 150 and 170 grain bullet weights. The cheap stuff is plenty good for hunting or target practice. I can vouch for 35 years of shooting fun with cast bullet handloads in several models of Winchester/Sears model 94s. Your real fun comes with getting an inexpensive loading tool (I started with the Lee Loader) and making all the ammunition you want to shoot, affordably.

HTH
John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts