Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an ever increasing number of brands and models in the scope and binocular fields. Are they just cutting their pie into smaller pieces or is this a lucrative segment.

Most consumers rely on world of mouth and gun writers, since it is darn near impossible to judge optics inside a sporting goods store. How to new brands get on the shelves?

·
Registered
919 Posts
As with many hunting myths, needing a 12, 15, 18x scope on your .243, 7mag, .270 or 300mag is not the everyday reality for successful hunting. Personally, most of my scopes are in the 1-4 and 2-7 range. I do have plenty of flat shooting rifles with higher powered scopes, but they are not used nearly as much.

Full disclosure; I will also confess to having one scope with 50mm objective as well. Won an auction for a NIB Hawke Vantage in 4-12x50 for .99. Got free shipping, but taxes upped it to $1.08. it sits atop my Model Seven 7mmSAUM.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Agreed for the most part. I have 2 guns set up for 1000 meter matches, and one has a 44mm and one has a 50. The rest are as stated 1-4 lvpo or compact little 2-5 or 2-7 models. Most of my hunting stuff is done at the 25-150 yard range, so doesn't need a ton of zoom. I can take one of the bigger models if I'm sitting around at a table or something, but they aren't great to carry. The current rifle I'm getting is a 4.1 lb ultra light with a carbon fiber stock and I'm putting a 3-12x42 on that, but it might go up a mountain with me. I found a really light one though to keep overall weight down.

Reactions: 336ER

·
Registered
868 Posts
They are catering to the arm chair sniper crowd these days, Money in is money in

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
I don't like FFP. Cannot even read those tiny texts when using. I have no issues with 2nd focal plane.

Reactions: treeslayer

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
FFP really only helps with range finding scopes, like MILDOT and similar reticles. If done right, they can work throughout the full magnification range - but unless that magnification range is fairly small, you really can't do it right - reticle subtentions too small at one end or too large at the other.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Mildot works at maximum magnification on on SFP scopes also. You only need the FFP if you want to use the ranging reticle on less than maximum power. If I'm using the range finding reticle, it means I'm shooting over my 280 yard Maximum point blank range (insert your mpb) and typically, I only use the low power on the scope at well under that out to maybe 75 or 100 yards, then it's zoom time.

Reactions: treeslayer

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mildot works at maximum magnification on on SFP scopes also. You only need the FFP if you want to use the ranging reticle on less than maximum power. If I'm using the range finding reticle, it means I'm shooting over my 280 yard Maximum point blank range (insert your mpb) and typically, I only use the low power on the scope at well under that out to maybe 75 or 100 yards, then it's zoom time.
pretty much my thoughts as well, however i found i very much prefer a simple duplex, or better yet three post [no top vertical] and i just adjust hold over if needed. which is almost never.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Mildot works at maximum magnification on on SFP scopes also.
Usually, but not always - sometimes it is at a specific magnification other than maximum. Regardless, there is always one, and only one, magnification where ranging reticles work on SFP scopes. If that meets your need, then absolutely there is no need for an FFP for you. Others might prefer the ability to use the range estimation capabilities across the full magnification range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts