Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the NRA, Tom Wolf signed into law, the legal use of semiautomatic rifles for hunting. Wow a huge step for hunters and firearm companies

·
Registered
362 Posts
There is no doubt this will be good for business and the spray & prey shooters, but will it really make much difference to genuine hunters ?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly will. I have sat on overlooking a creek bottom many times squirrel hunting, wishing I had my 10-22. A follow up shot is much better with a semi automatic. Hands down. This is the 49th state to pass this law and coming from one of the 48, I can tell you that a semi automatic has true benefits in the field.

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that. Even in Canada a 22 rimfire autoloader has no capacity restrictions.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Bummer!

I buy most of my guns in Pa. Used to get pretty good deals on semi-autos because you folks couldn't hunt with them.

Kidding aside. Good for you folks on the north side of the Mason Dixon Line.

EVOC ONE

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
OK glad that was clarified! I thought from reading the title of the thread that barry had snuck some kind of law in banning all semi autos.

Didn't know there were states that didn't allow their use. Good for Pennsylvania.

There may be growing pains at first but the spray and prayers soon realize that is not profitable. I hope there are no injuries before that happens.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's still subject to approval by the game commission so this might be simply a way to quiet those lobbying for the change. We still can't privatize the sale of liquor in this backward state. Ugh

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
As much as many will not like this, I hope the Game Commission doesn't approve the use of semi-autos, except for maybe 22 rimfire. As we know, shotguns are already allowed…

As has been mentioned, the “spray and pray” mentality will certainly be amplified with the use of semi’s…

There is no doubt that there are hunters out there who shoot and shoot and shoot until there firearm is empty. I worked in a butcher shop many years ago and it was a **** shame the death that some of those deer had to endure…

I have nephews who have the AR’s and it would be absolutely dangerous to be anywhere near where they would be located with a semi—period. I stopped them from shooting at my private range…

I’ve hunted for more than a ½ century and I have bagged all the game that could be legally shot in Pennsylvania. I started hunting squirrel in the early 60’s using a model 60 Winchester single shot. I have no idea how many squirrel I shot with that relic. I hunted rabbits with it in the second season by simply walking slowly and spying one sitting or hopping slowly out in front of me. I have owned several single shot shotguns and have had very good success with them…

The past 30 years I have shoot all my deer with single shot firearms, except a few I shot with cylinder guns…

I have nothing at all against the semi-format as the assault-STYLE weaponry, but I really don’t think it has anyplace during hunting season. Just my thoughts…

Guess I’m of the “Old School” and I had my fill of semi’s and full auto stuff many years ago when our Uncle Sam decided to give many of use a “vacation”…

Oh by the way, Sam is still looking for a few good people to serve the Country. He’ll let you shoot all the semi’s and full auto you wish to shoot. I’m sure there are many on here who can attest to that…

Good-luck…BCB

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As much as many will not like this, I hope the Game Commission doesn't approve the use of semi-autos, except for maybe 22 rimfire. As we know, shotguns are already allowed…

As has been mentioned, the “spray and pray” mentality will certainly be amplified with the use of semi’s…

There is no doubt that there are hunters out there who shoot and shoot and shoot until there firearm is empty. I worked in a butcher shop many years ago and it was a **** shame the death that some of those deer had to endure…

I have nephews who have the AR’s and it would be absolutely dangerous to be anywhere near where they would be located with a semi—period. I stopped them from shooting at my private range…

I’ve hunted for more than a ½ century and I have bagged all the game that could be legally shot in Pennsylvania. I started hunting squirrel in the early 60’s using a model 60 Winchester single shot. I have no idea how many squirrel I shot with that relic. I hunted rabbits with it in the second season by simply walking slowly and spying one sitting or hopping slowly out in front of me. I have owned several single shot shotguns and have had very good success with them…

The past 30 years I have shoot all my deer with single shot firearms, except a few I shot with cylinder guns…

I have nothing at all against the semi-format as the assault-STYLE weaponry, but I really don’t think it has anyplace during hunting season. Just my thoughts…

Guess I’m of the “Old School” and I had my fill of semi’s and full auto stuff many years ago when our Uncle Sam decided to give many of use a “vacation”…

Oh by the way, Sam is still looking for a few good people to serve the Country. He’ll let you shoot all the semi’s and full auto you wish to shoot. I’m sure there are many on here who can attest to that…

Good-luck…BCB
So the whole state should suffer because of your nephews behavior? If semi automatic weapons were so damaging to the sport of hunting, 98% of the states wouldn't allow them. What is an assault style weapon? An assault can be committed with any number of implements and there is no Assault style that separates any two items, unless the story is told by the DNC. So if one hunter is able to load and fire his weapon at speeds greater than everyone else, he is prevented from hunting? This, I believe is of the same mentality. If a single shot is fired in a safe manor and direction, all subsequent shots in that same manor and direction will also be safe. But you already knew this.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Sounds like the anti carry argument, blood in the streets.

Everyone wanting a semi auto is walking around with Rambo complexes? Kind of like everyone with a carry permit is a wanna be cop?

It's a good thing centerfire cartridges we're not developed in this century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
an ethical hunter should make it a point to practice "one shot" kills.

there are times when no matter how conscientiously a hunter tries, it doesn't work.then, possibly, a quick follow thru shot is necessary.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So the whole state should suffer because of your nephews behavior? If semi automatic weapons were so damaging to the sport of hunting, 98% of the states wouldn't allow them. What is an assault style weapon? An assault can be committed with any number of implements and there is no Assault style that separates any two items, unless the story is told by the DNC. So if one hunter is able to load and fire his weapon at speeds greater than everyone else, he is prevented from hunting? This, I believe is of the same mentality. If a single shot is fired in a safe manor and direction, all subsequent shots in that same manor and direction will also be safe. But you already knew this.

It is not because of my nephew or his buddies, but that age bracket is somewhat of a representative sample of how these semi-autos are used, at least at the range or wherever else they can find to shoot them. I guess they can be fired at the public ranges if the firearm is limited to a certain number of rounds—this I don’t know. As with many many years ago when I owned the “true” muscle cars, we youngsters enjoyed “hot rodding” and it was shown to be dangerous in many cases. I now own a vehicle with 400+ HP and I respect it. What I am basically saying is the fact that in the wrong hands, these types of firearms can be very dangerous. And unfortunately, many people who do own weapons have had very little, even minimal, training…

It’s also possible that this State has more hunters and a bit more population than many of the states that allow semi-automatic firearms, other than shotguns. Many areas in this State are quite crowed during hunting season. Game Lands could be a much crowed piece of property. I don’t know if this has any significant to not allowing semi’s or not. That may change…

As mentioned, my nephew and his buddies (I didn’t know there were going to be there) made some pretty good fire-power noise at my range. It wasn’t a day or two later that some of the neighbors asked me what in the H*ll were you shooting back there. My range is nearly ½ mile from the closest house. These neighbors are all “gun people” and it has been a way of life for many many generations. They were even a bit edgy about the number of rounds fired in but a few minutes. I informed them it would not happen again and if it does, I would like to be notified…

I’m not putting every owner of these semi-guns into the above bracket I have mentioned. But, it seems many people are weary of them—maybe through ignorance, but still they have some reservation about the use of them—they have their opinions as we all do…

I really don’t know where you can actually shoot them except on someone’s private property or some abandoned surface mine (still someone owns these properties) that we have plenty of in this State. Problem is, many who own these semi’s, only own an acre of ground or live in a city environment. So, they have to go places to actually fire the weapon legally or, to not alarm neighbors in the area of the fire. These places are limited…

The one poster mentioned, “A quick follow-up second shot”. I never needed a semi to get the second shot off quickly—I was quite efficient with bolts and lever firearms early in my hunting adventures. So, I am not upset if someone can fire more rounds in a given amount of time—I never needed many rounds, mostly just a second round and the vast majority of my kills, I didn’t even need the second round…

And as far as committing an assault—yep, you can even use a ball bat or a knife or a pie plate. But let’s also note that the military doesn’t issue ball bats or pie plates for those who may be in situations where assault rifles might serve better. Everything has a purpose; we all just determine, and justify what that purpose is to be…

Now it will be up to the Commish I guess. There are presently over 600 acres that borders my small piece of real estate and it is all posted. Mine is not posted and I allow hunting on mine as do some of the owners who have posted their property. But that will not occur with semi’s on my property and most likely with the neighboring land owners…

Good-luck…BCB

·
22,249 Posts
ive hunted with single shots, bolts, pumps and semi autos. None of them spray bullets at deer. The man behind the trigger does. Ive see deer shot by 3030s and bolt action 06s shot to **** by idiots. The type of rifle you use has nothing to do with it. An idiot is an idiot period. I see absolutely no difference between hunting with a semi auto 22 or shotgun then I do with an ar15. Its my RIGHT to hunt with what a choose. I'm glad we don't have stupid laws like that in MI. Congratulations PA citizens.

Good-luck…BCB

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hmmmm, hot topic, sort of like the Sunday Hunting issue in this State...

Doesn’t matter to me either way in all honesty…

It will be what it will be and we will all adjust as we see fit…

Good-luck…BCB

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
WE as sportsman REALLY, REALLY have to reject this title. NONE ARE ASSAULT ANYTHING.

Its a AR15 or a SEMI rifle PERIOD.

I agree with Flash its very weak stand point and one that also needs to PASS. We are ALL sportsman, NONE of us has the right to ASSUME what the other might do because they can. ANYONE of us has the tools and ability to be the worst the world has seen as a bad gun toting person... Why don't be become the BEST EVER SEEN??

TEACH that nephew, don't pass him on to someone else. Someone else wont be as lenient and caring. Its our responsibility as relatives to educate those who do not know. That nephew has ZERO bearing on any PA sportsman.

Merry Christmas,
CW

·
22,249 Posts
well said!
WE as sportsman REALLY, REALLY have to reject this title. NONE ARE ASSAULT ANYTHING.

Its a AR15 or a SEMI rifle PERIOD.

I agree with Flash its very weak stand point and one that also needs to PASS. We are ALL sportsman, NONE of us has the right to ASSUME what the other might do because they can. ANYONE of us has the tools and ability to be the worst the world has seen as a bad gun toting person... Why don't be become the BEST EVER SEEN??

TEACH that nephew, don't pass him on to someone else. Someone else wont be as lenient and caring. Its our responsibility as relatives to educate those who do not know. That nephew has ZERO bearing on any PA sportsman.

Merry Christmas,
CW

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
No, it is not like anti-carry arguments. You have a constitutional right to a firearm to protect yourself. You do not have a constitutional right to use high capacity semi-auto's to hunt game animals. If they limit the capacity of ammunition for centerfire rifles to 3 or 4 it might be reasonable. I can see where women, children, persons with heart conditions etc might want a semi-auto for recoil reduction. I can tell you that it WILL result in more wounded game, greater meat loss, and probably a few actual injuries.

As for "Rambo"... not EVERYONE..... but there are a good percentage that are exactly that, and the gun industry is pushing that hard. I have a carry permit-- I carry infrequently. Before we had permits- I carried anyway if the situation called for it. In 65 years I have need one 3 times--and I had one. Now the argument is what gun-- mag capacity-- spare mags-- power factor-- BACKUP WEAPON ??? Are talking average American or Jason Bourne??

As for he whole state "suffering".... there is no "suffering". There are strict limits on magazine capacity for hunting, waterfowl, game birds, big game. If you want to use your AR because it is what you have- I understand that, but the idea of "followup" shots is the problem. You spoke of a 10-22 and squirrels-- maybe you have thought exactly where that bullet is going to land on your first shot-- but I guarantee that on those "quick followup shots" you do not. And if you are lucky enough to hit a squirrel on the run, or from tree to tree there will be a couple extra hollowpoints through the chest and abdomen-- what is left to eat??

Making an argument for competition shooting against targets is one thing-- against living things is another.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
BUT WHAT DO I KNOW...
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

Even with your own posts cwlongshot…

(I have made 95% of my kills with single shot firearms as I mentioned in post #8)

Using my nephew may have not been a good choice, but he is representative of many of those who are semi-rifle fans—sad, but true. These guys are finding out that ammo is expensive and reloading them is very time-consuming, and finding a place to shoot them is nearly impossible, so I am sure the “fad” will wear off with them. Just another firearm gathering dust in the corner, or one for sale…

I know I am getting eat alive with what I am saying, but it is being interpreted wrongly—so be it…

As I mentioned, I have hunted the same property of 55 years—this was noted this year as I sat and thought while waiting for a deer. I have harvested many game animals and the hunting was so much better then—by that I mean, everyone in the woods knew everyone in the woods. Fun, just plain fun. Now it seems to be competitive, this I don’t know for sure, but I feel this. Many lands are not open to hunt now because people have seen and heard all they care to deal with. Example with my neighbors asking me about all the shooting at my Bench...

Yep, I’m Old School and that ain’t gonna change. So, until the rules and regs get changed, those coming to the Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to hunt will be restricted to manually operated firearms for big game and hunting only on Sunday for coyotes and fox at certain times. Crows too when in season. Just the way it is. I guess traditions do die hard, but eventually the do die…

H*ll, there was even an attempt to get the Atlati legal to hunt with in this State—by the way, rocks ain’t legal either!!!...

And so it goes…

Good-luck…BCB

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No, it is not like anti-carry arguments. You have a constitutional right to a firearm to protect yourself. You do not have a constitutional right to use high capacity semi-auto's to hunt game animals. If they limit the capacity of ammunition for centerfire rifles to 3 or 4 it might be reasonable. I can see where women, children, persons with heart conditions etc might want a semi-auto for recoil reduction. I can tell you that it WILL result in more wounded game, greater meat loss, and probably a few actual injuries.

As for "Rambo"... not EVERYONE..... but there are a good percentage that are exactly that, and the gun industry is pushing that hard. I have a carry permit-- I carry infrequently. Before we had permits- I carried anyway if the situation called for it. In 65 years I have need one 3 times--and I had one. Now the argument is what gun-- mag capacity-- spare mags-- power factor-- BACKUP WEAPON ??? Are talking average American or Jason Bourne??

As for he whole state "suffering".... there is no "suffering". There are strict limits on magazine capacity for hunting, waterfowl, game birds, big game. If you want to use your AR because it is what you have- I understand that, but the idea of "followup" shots is the problem. You spoke of a 10-22 and squirrels-- maybe you have thought exactly where that bullet is going to land on your first shot-- but I guarantee that on those "quick followup shots" you do not. And if you are lucky enough to hit a squirrel on the run, or from tree to tree there will be a couple extra hollowpoints through the chest and abdomen-- what is left to eat??

Making an argument for competition shooting against targets is one thing-- against living things is another.

WOW, I agree...

Thanks...BCB

1 - 20 of 44 Posts