Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in about 2008 I went on a do it yourself Elk hunt in western Colorado in the White River National Forest near Rifle, CO. I was hiking just at the line between the aspens and the spruce when I got winded (I live at about 400 feet above sea level and it was 8,000 feet or so). I sat down on a log and was catching my breath when all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I sensed the presence of something coming I knew the direction it was coming from, from behind me from the NNE and I was facing south. It was so strong I flicked off the rifle safety without thinking (out of character). At this time I do not think I knew it was an Elk. The next thing I experienced was I smelled him coming, I had never smelled Elk before but if you shot an elk you know its similar to a goat but different more rank. After several more seconds I heard sticks breaking far off in the distance getting closer, then finally I saw him, as big as a mountain walk out from behind a spruce that had grown up in the aspens a little bit. He turned and looked at me from about 20 feet. I raised my 308 and shot him in the heart, he didn't even flinch (wow different reaction than whitetails that drop in their tracks) I racked the bolt and gave him another 165 grain partition, about an inch from the first, he shook his head and started to amble off. He took about three steps and dropped. Was a large bodied 5X5, and boy what a thrill. I often, but not always sort of sense the presence of deer have a feeling what direction they are from me but its never been so strong as on this elk hunt.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I wonder if his reaction and/or outcome would have been different if hit in the same spot from the same distance with a 45/70, or a 30-30.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the partitions were recovered from the off side shoulder and expanded perfectly. He only lived another 10 15 seconds, I'm sure the first shot would of dropped him shortly but he didn't react to the shot so I slapped him again. I wondered before about a 45/70 too, but since no shoulder bone was hit I bet nearly the same, it probably would have not stayed in the animal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.