Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
myself, i prefer shaving with a mug and brush and soap.
i used some rise brand shave gel for a few years that i'd
bought at the dollar store a couple of dozen at the time,
but are no longer available. last time at the outpost, i cleaned
out the supply i had there, and in the interim had to use
the horrid barbasol white aerosol foam mess, which is not
too much better than spitting in your palm and rubbing
that on your face. i recently found that most stores no
longer carry the $1.00 + cakes of williams shave soap i
used to buy. shave soaps can be had here, but they're
the "boutique" or "luxury" soaps selling at $5.00 + each. :eek:

i did get lucky and had stopped in an old run down grocery
store and got lucky and found 6 cakes of williams soap at
$1.17 each and got those, so i'm saved for the short term.

what happened ? did the world spin past me at some point ?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I use the same soap for everything: body, hair, and shaving. I buy it from a friend that makes soap and sells it to friends and at farmer's markets. It lathers up nicely with a bowl and brush, no different then "shaving soap" as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think purposed shaving soap has less "cleaning agents" ( ??? )
in it than regular bar body soap since it is for moisturizing
the beard to soften for cutting rather than for cleansing, but
that is for sure a unscientific swag on my my part with no
base at all. i know shaving soap doesn't leave my head or
face raw like regular soap or the foam mess. i have used
my own homemade lye soap for bathing and shaving before
(back when i could buy lye to make it with) and it will for
sure give your face a "healthy red glow". :D

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Van Der Hagen makes a pretty good soap. If you prefer foam from a can, Barbasol is probably the best of the bunch. Both are suitable for safety razor shaving. Both are available at your local Wally World.

With a straight razor, I will use VDH soap in a pinch. Mitchel's Wool Fat is much better, however, it is a mail order item for me.

For more information (probably far more than you ever wanted to know) go here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/3-Shaving-Soaps

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
In the shower I will use anything from hair shampoo to simple bar soap.
I have a shaving mug and brush but have not used it for decades except for drinking coffee.

Standing by the sink, some of the new fancy pressurized stuff is pretty good but I often use stuff you squeeze out of a tube that I bought at a bargain store that used to be here. It was closed as the owner sold the land for long stay motel deal that has not been finalized and is years away .

Fortunately there is another store here, used to be a lumber yard but now also has a bargain store, where I can get odd ball normally high priced stuff for a fraction of what it costs at Walgreens or a specialty store.
I used to get some French stuff at Walgreens but they no longer have it.
It was actually really good stuff.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When i can't get Williams soap for my brush I resort to old time Barbasol until I can. Natural hair shaving brush is the only way to go.Lathers up real nice.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
I've found the William's shave soap at Wally World. My problem is finding double edge blades for my old safety razor. Found some on clearance lately at CVS and bought all they had. Several years worth I reckon.

·
Registered
606 Posts
:) Howdy! I was told that Williams shave soap has been discontinued. Whatever you find on shelves is all there is left. I've been using Proraso Green soap and it seems to be good. I like warm lather so I use a special mug that has a hot water bath built in. I have found that adding a few drops of glycerin to your mug makes for a better lather. Most of the items for shaving I get off the internet. Wet shaving is making a big come back! Always, Gene

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I went to a brush and soap about three years ago. Elbows have gotten so stiff with arthritis it is difficult to reach parts of my face to smear on the canned stuff. I bought cup, soap, and brush at wally world and have no idea what brand the soap was. I bough my last cake of soap at wally world also. I didn't even look to see what brand it was as it was the only thing they had. It gets the job done.

I use the five blade Gillette blades and have been for quite sometime. No more nicks and scrapes like the old double edged razor blades and they stay sharp forever. Well; maybe not forever but much longer than anything else I've ever used. Straight razor? I have my dad's and grand dad's but if that was the only thing available I would just grow a full beard.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
A plain ole bar of cheap IVORY SOAP is pretty slick and slimmy, doesn't allow razor burn, and rinses off clean. Been usin it for decades.
Granted like all modern soaps, the companies remove the natural occurring glicerin in soap, and sell it separately , but Ivory is mild, and works without dryin me out.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
mechanic said:
I've found the William's shave soap at Wally World. My problem is finding double edge blades for my old safety razor. Found some on clearance lately at CVS and bought all they had. Several years worth I reckon.
I use the Personna blades, they are made in USA and better than any of the others that I've tried. Walmart carries them, you can order them online and the shipping is free or I think they will ship them to your local Walmart for pickup too. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Personna-100-Pack-Double-Edge-Stainless-Steel-Safety-Razor-Blades/33449586

I use the Van Der Hagen soap or Barbasol foam if I'm in a hurry.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I use aerosol shave foam..but I will pass by Barbasol foam everytime. Barbasol doesn't stick to my face, when I go to spread it on my face, it tends to come off my face and roll up behind my fingers. I don't normally use brush & soap, but sometimes I will take the bar of soap (any kind) and scrub it over my beard, then use my fingers, rubbing briskly to lather it up. It seems just as good as any method.
Razors? I just buy the yellow Bic razors in the dozen pack, which will last a good share of a year.
Don't try any of those "look alike" no-name, imitation Bic razors..you will be disappointed.

BTW: I have been debating with myself as to whether I will forge myself a straight razor...

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
FourBee said:
Over the years I've tried lots of the old barber razors , after shaves, and soaps. Below is a few I started out with years ago.
Good selection.
I have used Jeri's and love the stuff but it is hard to find nowadays around here.

Here is an internet site with a LARGE selection.
There may be others but this is the only one I know of now.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

I would advise to stay far away from any cheap razors made in China.
Bought a pack of cheapies once, after I was bleeding half-way through the first shave with the first one, I tossed the whole pack.
Of the Multi-blade ones the little separate trimmer blade on the Schick gets into tight places better than Gillette but I have and use both.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts