Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CZ 550 in 30-06 with the fancy wood stock that has been showing signs of wood damage on the right side near where the bolt extracts the spent cartridges. There are numerous chips and signs of impact, which I suspect is the spent brass cartridges hitting the wood. The right side seems thicker than on my other rifles, and my other CZ guns do not do this, but they are not model 550's either.

I saw a photo of a Winchester Model 70 with a wood stock that also had this area of wood damage. My 550 has around 900 rounds through it, it has not seen any sling carry use as of yet. Has anyone else had a wood stock with these very odd chip impact marks on them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Shell casing chips on right side of wood st

Is it on the inside of the bolt race area, or the outside? I know with plunger ejectors, the shell is under lateral pressure until it clears the breech and is then ejected. So maybe there is a little wood exposed that is getting battered by the spent casing?

:D
-Patriot

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Shell casing chips on right side of wood st

Myself, I would cut the wood back untill the dings stop. But I'm an old fashioned DIY kind of guy. :) The CZ is a nice gun, but you can't expect perfection at such low prices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts