Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I took a handi barrel into my shipping place I have shipped many barrels with, however this time i didn't have a tube so i asked them to bubble wrap it & put it in a tube. I am friends with the owner and she did as i asked and handed me the box & says "we cannot ship it, its a gun part, don't do that to me - you will have to take it to the post office" I smiled & said ok - no sense in arguing but gee, this is a rural area, its a barrel, not an AR upper or trigger, etc guess this is what things have come to - anyone else experience this?

·
Super Moderator
51,987 Posts
UPS stores have always had restrictions on firearms and parts, some member have had them refuse scopes! Best advice is wrap them yourself so they don't know what you're shipping.

Tim

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Years ago I needed to ship a gun receiver to H&R for another barrel, the UPS in our town in central Washington accepted it as parts but not as a receiver. H&R sent it back UPS too. Then a few years ago I sent a new S&W back for some work with a S&W shipping ticket, from Oregon, no problem at all. It also came back UPS. Haven't had to do it since. That's been my experience.

·
Super Moderator
51,987 Posts
I've never had a problem shipping UPS, but I don't use the "stores" which are NOT UPS owned, they're franchised 3rd party stores which have different rules, I go to the local UPS customer center which is about a mile from home, have shipped several guns by them with no problem and have received them back, also with no problems. I've shipped all my barrels by USPS priority mail, every time I compare costs, USPS priority costs about the same as UPS ground, but I haven't shipped a barrel since the new surcharge rate went into effect in April.

Tim

·
Registered
514 Posts
They recently changed their whole M.O Tim. They have chosen to refuse parts and to even open and destroy private property that was in their care when it was shown to be a part. UPS has totally gone to the dark side. They no longer want "OUR" business. So be it

·
Registered
389 Posts
Last summer i was in Ohio and picked up a 20 ultra barrel and stock set. Figured I’d ship it home due to weight, but didn’t have a chance to stop until I was in Buffalo. The ups store I visited was convinced it must have been illegal somehow, but eventually I convinced her. Since then I’ve just used usps, who even in urban California have zero issues.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Reactions: chuckduster01

·
Super Moderator
51,987 Posts
Here's UPS' page on shipping firearms, the only parts they mention are parts that are serialized, IE frames/receivers and suppressors. A barrel isn't a firearm by definition, for example. The big issue with this it trying to explain to the UPS employee their own rules, so still another reason to use USPS or Fedex.

Tim

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for shipment only in the following cases:
  • (a) Between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies
  • (b) Where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law:
    • (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector
    • (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

Prohibited Firearms Shipments

UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment, either domestically or internationally.
UPS does not accept firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts for shipment internationally.
UPS does not accept firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts for shipment domestically unless (1) such shipments are in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, including, without limitation, age restrictions; (2) such firearms, including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver (as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12) have been identified and bear a serial number in a manner that complies with federal law; and (3) such firearm parts within a package cannot be assembled to form a firearm.
Any item that meets the definition of a firearm (including firearm mufflers or silencers) or a “frame” or “receiver” under federal law (including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12) must be identified and bear a serial number in satisfaction of the requirements for identifying such items under federal law, including 27 CFR § 478.92 and/or 27 CFR § 479.102, regardless of whether any such items are otherwise exempt from or not subject to identification requirements under applicable law. This prohibition applies even before the effective date of 27 CFR § 478.12.

Packing and Labeling Requirements for Firearms

All firearms must be shipped in new corrugated packaging that meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines.
All firearms must be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications.
Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns).
Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery.
The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required and Direct Delivery Only services for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun or a firearm suppressor, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments must not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.

UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

UPS Express Critical™ Service and UPS Returns® Services are not available for packages containing firearms.
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically:
  • UPS Next Day Air® Early
  • UPS Next Day Air®
  • UPS Next Day Air Saver®

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services, or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).
Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
See the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping ("UPS Terms") for information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I recently tried to ship a long gun to another forum member. The local UPS store wouldn't ship it. They said that they didn't have the right status to ship it. The manager said that UPS will ship it, though, and asked me to go to the customer care center, like Tim does. I found the Customer Care Center helpful once I got there. I actually found that, with insurance, they were much cheaper to ship than USPS, that I use for other things. The shipment got there just as fast as I've been experiencing with USPS Priority.

I think that it just depends on who you deal with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have noticed over the last 5-8 years. That mu local UPS has a habit of trying to get me to tell them exactly what is in the package. They get that this bugs me, by the way I answer.their quarries.

·
Registered
514 Posts
UPS has decided it does not like gun owners and the US CONSTITUTION, why in the **** would you support them?:rolleyes: That is like gun guys using fleabay or payscam, I just do not get it. You are literally supporting your enemies for convenience. DUM DUM DUM STUPID DUM

Reactions: gunsmithkinks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I heard yesterday that now FedEx has jumped on board with not accepting gun or gun part shipments from a friend of mine in Maine that has a buddy who works at FedEx. So who knows.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts