Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thar be an older thread on this page about storing BP lubed boolits. One of the responsibilities, maybe the most important one, of being a Soot Lord is fostering the developement of apprentices or helping fellow Soot eaters. Sometimes that means ya need to ship lube or bootlits or lube/sized boolits to some Pard who needs to know if'n that combo is right fer him/her. I was using them pre cast white poly stryene trays and they ship right nice and work well with stiffer lubes such as SPG; but they can be a mess with soft lube like PRS or EL Tigre. I fixed me a piece of plywood with a "V" groove cut into its surface. I lay a piece of waxed parchment paper on that plywood and then line up the boolits in that groove as I lube them. A neat row of 10 boolits and then I roll the waxed paper around them and use masking tape to seal the ends that I have folded over. Looks lke a big ole Tootsi Roll. Five of those ship easily in a rectangular cardboard box with some packing. Folks on the receiving end of this tell me its EZ to get them out and load them; just peel the tape away and unroll the paper. I don't store the boolits since I lube size as I seat them into cases, but it should be a nice way t store boolits too.

Whatdoyathink?

I think the new postal rates are the hard part!

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I like that Idea!!!!! :-D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hay prs,

After pan lubing and Lee sizing I just dump my boolets into quart or pint size clear delicatessen containers with a short note as to what's in there and when I cast 'em. They stack well and stay dust free. Can't figger out why some manuals suggest lubin' only what ya need. PRS Lube don't run out of the grooves and I like ta do just one operation per evening!

Any new testing on yer new lube, sir? I ain't in no way unhappy with the old one!

As an aside - had a great time shootin' with the Lake County Pistoleros but tomorrow this ol' cowboy rides north into the sunset (gotta check that compass!)

Yer pard

Goatlips

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Ho Goatlips! I figured it was time fer ya to migrate North! Nothing wrong with the new lube; El Tigre. Its more purdy than the original. It smells even better than the original. It shoots well in rapid fire. It holds up well in heat. It does not keep the barrel as cool as PRS lube does in extended rapid fire; but still better than any other I have tried. Did I say it was purdy? I am going to stir off a batch of a similar new lube (Volunteer) soon (maybe tonight) which is beeswax based like the original PRS, but otherwise the same as ElTigre (which is soy wax based). I had to modify the cooking directions some to reduce excessive moisture in one ingredient. Give me the word when I should ship your boolit mold back to ya and I will nclude lube samples in the package. When I get the kinks all worked out; I think I will just post te recipe for all who may wish to try it. That new lube lube sure is purdy!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Boolet Mould

Hay Pigeonroost,

Just pulled in to the Michigan spread and have to clean the lead spatters off the kitchen floor and get the lube stains outta the carpet 'fore Missus G. gets back in town next week (I figured out how to cast when it's freezing out and she ain't home). So whenever you're ready and done with the mold. I prolly won't have time for important stuff like melting lead for a couple of months.

Thanks for takin' care of my six-holer while I was busy shootin'! Did you say yer new lube was purty, or just smelled that way? I'm kind of attached to the original. Hope the new formulae use lotsa stearic acid 'cause I gots lots!

Goatlips

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeeeeeeeee HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! If'n ya got near as much molten lead on the kitchen as ya got on them mold black faces, then the Misses is a gonna toss a hissey fit fer sure! Maybe ya had better move and hide yer forwarding address.

My lazy hide be danged! I didna get around tuit with that new batch of lube yet. BTW, I did use more streric acid in the new lube recipe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.