Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does FA caution about shooting.38 Spl in a M97 .357 cylinder ? All you have to do is clean the carbon ring out afterwards right ? No damage to the cylinder because of the tight specs ?
I’ve been shooting 38’s out of my Smith .357’s for many years. A few strokes with a tight bronze brush in each chamber and they look good as new . So what’s different with FA ?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Most likely from the carbon ring created from the shorter 38, can make chambering a .357 length round a chore.
Nut'n a good brass brush can't correct.
LG

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Why does FA caution about shooting.38 Spl in a M97 .357 cylinder ? All you have to do is clean the carbon ring out afterwards right ? No damage to the cylinder because of the tight specs ?

I’ve been shooting 38’s out of my Smith .357’s for many years. A few strokes with a tight bronze brush in each chamber and they look good as new . So what’s different with FA ?
Here's an response from Bob Baker years ago referencing shooting 45 Colt in the 454 Casull cylinder.

It's more than the crud ring.

I own a Freedom Arms model 83 premier grade 454 Casull with 7 1/2" barrel with accessory cylinders in 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 45 Winchester Magnum.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Think of all the .44 mag & .357 mag guns made over the last 50+ yrs or more.
If .44 Special and .38 Special fired in those chambers was truly and issue.
We would have heard from all the gun-makers buy now.
I have fired a bucket load of .45 Colt in my FA .454 Casull over the last 22+ yrs. All I ever had to do was use a brass brush to clean the chambers.
Your gun-Your choice--YMMV.
LG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts