Graybeard Outdoors banner

shooting with one bad eye

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  atllaw 
#1 ·
I am now completely blind in my right eye; my right handed self's former master eye. :'(

And, as much trouble as I'm having trying to switch over shooting rifles from the port side, I decided I'm not going to even try shooting a compound left handed. :(

But I got to thinking. Maybe I can shoot my recurve right handed. After all, I've always shot stick bows instinctively; drawing to the chin, concentrating on the target.

So it seems to me that if I practice diligently, and get my muscle memory used to the new... um... viewpoint[/size],[/size] even though my left eye now has all the dominant characteristics I may be able to shoot a bow accurately right handed. :-\ Kind of like point shooting a handgun which I still do.

What cha think? ???

#2 ·
I would give it a try. I've never used sights on a bow, but still manage pretty good accuracy.
Similar to, as you said, point and shoot with a pistol. And similar to clay pigeon or wingshooting with a shotgun.

#3 ·
Richard, I had little "marksmanship instruction" in my youth. I'm ambidextrous in my handgun shooting BUT! My left eye is my dominant eye. As a kid I shot the old levers right handed, but used my left eye. I was able to do this because of the drop on the stock. No problem! I did eventually retrain to my right eye, but could easily go back if necessary.You've scoped your 99s, have you thought to check and see if this would work for you?

BTW I started shootin a recurve at age 6. Never switched to the compounds. Don't look down the arrow. Look at where you want to hit. ;)

#5 ·
Was he shooting a stick bow or a compound? ??? I still think I can shoot right handed if I shoot purely instinctively. :-\ Matter of fact, I realized I could pull the sights off my compounds and shoot them instinctively! :eek: Or at least try... :-\

#6 ·
AtlLaw said:
. . . . .So it seems to me that if I practice diligently. . . .

What cha think? ???
i think that you'll never know for sure unless you honestly try.
you've got nothing to lose. . .except all your enjoyment you
get from your sport.
i've known a few that adapted and overcame. one who ruined
one arm and built a gadget to draw a bow with his teeth. i don't
know if he ever scored, but he damn sure tried and was out in
a tree come season. another lost use of both arms and had
a homemade gun vise that he aimed and got windage and
elevation with foot pedals and a cable gadget that he bit down
on to trip the trigger. he did get a trophy deer that he had
mounted. bigger than anything i've ever taken.

i think it'll be a minor set back for you

#7 ·
AtlLaw said:
Was he shooting a stick bow or a compound? ??? I still think I can shoot right handed if I shoot purely instinctively. :-\ Matter of fact, I realized I could pull the sights off my compounds and shoot them instinctively! :eek: Or at least try... :-\

Compound. He shoots one of those fancy Hoyts with the carbon riser. I do know some people who shoot compounds instinctively. It always impresses me because I am definitely not one of those people.

#8 ·
AtlLaw said:

Richard, Howard Hill was left eye dominate but shot right handed. He used a unique sight picture. Google Howard hill archery and order his book describing how he shot. Might help you out.
A lot of guys do have trouble learning his method. But it may work for you.

#9 ·
I didn't know that Byron! :eek: Thanks for the heads up! ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.