Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
You seem to have some misconceptions regarding objective size and it's relationship to FOV and eye relief. Bottom line it pretty much has none, zero, zip nada. Now it does impact brightness to some extent and exit pupil completely.

As a rule lower power means wider FOV and higher power narrower FOV. Scopes don't "gather light" they transmit it. Optics and coating quality have more to do with how bright a scope is than most anything else. Huge objectives help only in a limited way. It's more a matter of how the maker choses to make the compromises that determine how much FOV, eye relief and such that determines those things.

However I will say that over all I've not been pleased with the Leupold 1-4 for low light use. I'm not a fan of 20mm objectives on any of my personal scopes as it limits the exit pupil which is important for fast eye alignment and as eyes grow older a larger exit pupil seems more important to me. I do like the 1.5-5 but must say I like the 1.75-6 better still and the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.75-6 even more. For low light hunting both are far superior in my personal opinion to the 1-4 or 1.5-5 Leupold scopes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts