1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can’t get a better scope for what you want to do than that one, I own at least 6 of them and love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You can’t get a better scope for what you want to do than that one, I own at least 6 of them and love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does that little 20mm draw in light towards dark??

·
Registered
357 Posts
They won't gather light like a scope with a large objective Bell, but they will allow you to shoot all the way till 30 min past Sunset. The old M8 2x Compact was a wonderful scope. This one should be great as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
They won't gather light like a scope with a large objective Bell, but they will allow you to shoot all the way till 30 min past Sunset. The old M8 2x Compact was a wonderful scope. This one should be great as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks! I've been thinking about one for awhile. We can legally shoot until 30 min after sunset but I usually hang it up 15 min after because the woods get too dark.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I'm thinking, just a little help for the old peepers around dusk. I'm losing my night vision with every year it seems. I went to the local Sportsman's Warehouse to check out the scopes. Very nice. Then the counter guy got me looking at new lightweight rifles and yada, yada, yada. Does the scope come with a heavy duplex? I didn't see the exact model but looked at a 1-5x Leupold that was almost as compact (8 oz., I think).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ve had one mounted on my .45-70 Contender carbine for 15 years. Very happy with it, plenty of light for legal hunting. Sure you can get a 50mm scope and set it on low power, but then you need a set of high rings with the resulting poor cheek weld, and still may not have more visibikity.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I use the short Bushnell shotgun scopes on my Angle Eject 444s. Only 1.5-4.5 X but gives me enough light for early and late shots, and withstands the pounding the 444 gives without going out of zero.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Sportsmans Warehouse is out of stock on the Leupold Ultralight. For $200+ more money and 3 oz. more weight they have this: https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Leupold-VX-3i-1.5-5x20mm-Rifle-Scope/productDetail/Leupold-Rifle-Scopes/prod99999056947/cat129431. Looks like a nice scope but I think I'll wait and see if they get anymore Ultralights in soon. OTOH, having a variable might be handy.

I'm curious. With the Leverevolution ammo, does scoping the Win. 94 make it a 200+ yard gun? How far have you guys stretched the Ol' Gal's legs with a scope (animals or targets)?

·
22,260 Posts
just stuck a leupold pig hunter 1x4 on my 356. bought it because I got a heck of a deal on it. Its reticle is a bit busy but I like the heavy crosshairs for close up low light work and that triangle in the middle that kind of makes it a bit busy for shooting groups would probably work great on moving game. Does a real expectable job in low light. I believe its basically a vx1 with the pig reticle. Its going to camp with me this year.

·
Administrator
26,045 Posts
Contrary to popular believe scopes, binoculars too, don't draw in light and they don't gather light.

Let that sink in for a moment.

What they do is to transmit the ambient light that is there and focus it onto your eye. They do this thru a system of lens. Each air to glass surface robs you of some of the light being transmitted. These days they are really good at coatings and the amount of loss at each air to glass surface is tiny. Some of the best can pass a total of about 98% of the light coming in back out to your eye.

For low light use what is most import is the quality of the glass in the lens and the quality of the coatings on those lens. Next most important is exit pupil.

A young eye can expand to about 7mm in total darkness. Most of us old farts do good to have our eyes expand to 5mm in total darkness. So if the exit pupil of your scope or binocular has an exit pupil of 5 mm then it will transmit about all the light our eyes can use and will therefore be considered bright when in use.

Most scopes with 20 mm objective lens have low magnification and at low magnification will see just as bright as a larger scope with larger object but higher magnification.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Excellent explanation GB.

One other thing - a higher magnification scope (if the exit pupil is the same size as a low power scope) may fool your brain into thinking the image is brighter simply because the image is larger.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just bought that scope on Amazon for as GSBL 45/70.

Buy one. It's amazing for s lever gun.

I used Talley low rings

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plan on getting one for the .30-30. Wished I could scope the 1886 .45-70 but don't know if I really want to go that route even though it's a Miroku-made gun.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, so every time I check Sportsman's the Ultralite scope is sold out. Anybody know anything about this scope:
https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting/optics/scopes/rifle-scopes/leupold-and-stevens-vx-freedom-15-4x20-scope/p/1507996? Is it comparable? It's actually $20 cheaper and supposedly in stock. Is the Leupold & Stevens line a lesser quality product than the FX-II Ultralite? It's a variable 1-4X. If I don't put this on the .30-30 Win. 94, I'll put it on my .45-70 Handi Rifle and maybe wait until the Ultralite becomes available for my lever gun.

·
Registered
338 Posts
IMO, with or without the new leverevolution ammo or a scope, the 30-30 is easily a 200 yd caliber if you get a nice clear shot. I think the new leverevolution ammo is a bunch of hooey, trying to make a 308 out of a 30-30. It used to be the soft flat nose of the old 30-30 ammo that did the trick and that's why so many of the old lever guns, shooting the old style flat nosed bullets were so effective.

I believe that if you scope your rifle you will find it just as accurate with the old Federal, Winchester or Remington 150 or 170 gn soft/flat nosed slug as with the newer designs. As for trajectory, just get to know the ammo you are shooting and it will do just fine out to 200 yds, and even better. One way or the other, Bambi will never know what hit him. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I put a 4X M8 on my marlin 94 .357, it sure helped these old tired eyes see better early and late. Just picked up another used one for $100.00 shipped could not pass it up, I'll replace the old weaver on my 10/22 with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts