Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have someone asking me if it would be okay to shoot two or three or four .54 caliber lead balls out of his Brooks Napoleon.
I really don't have any experience in this.
Off hand, to me, I really can't see an issue.
Pack them in foil with some sawdust?

Is there a chance they could jam in the bore?

I never suggest powder loads. I refer those questions to Switlik's chart.
This is a little different.

Zulu

·
7,128 Posts
1 inch bore? Not sure how that would work; in sabots? Loose would not seal the bore. 1" shot would weigh about 1500 grains, .54" shot would weigh about 235 grains, so there wouldn't be an overweight concern. Really can't recommend it without more information.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
How about making the owner a 1 inch grape shot like your larger ones? Maybe use bbs as your shot? Might make an interesting project.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is for a 1" bore Napoleon.
This one.

Couldn't pressure be maintained with three or four .54 balls wrapped in foil with sawdust? It would look like a foil wrapped powder charge. There wouldn't be much expense in that like there would be with a little grape shot on a sabot made by me.

Zulu

·
Super Moderator
16,698 Posts
One over powder wad, roll in the balls, add another over wad and shoot.

4.62 " 12 PDR cannister held 27 1.5" iron balls. Scale down the bore to 1 inch and the brings the cannister ball to .32" about the size of "0" Buck shot.

·
7,128 Posts
Again, the problem is that .54 cal shot will not layer in a 1" bore, they will be zigzag down the bore.The rear ones will put sideways pressure on the one ahead. Not sure what that would do (damage bore, reform the shot, etc.) but not something I would recommend.

If I had to do this, I would sabot each shot or put them in a closed end 1" tube and fill with sawdust or corn meal to keep them centered.

Why is the choice .54 cal instead of something less than .500"?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, the problem is that .54 cal shot will not layer in a 1" bore, they will be zigzag down the bore.The rear ones will put sideways pressure on the one ahead. Not sure what that would do (damage bore, reform the shot, etc.) but not something I would recommend.

If I had to do this, I would sabot each shot or put them in a closed end 1" tube and fill with sawdust or corn meal to keep them centered.

Why is the choice .54 cal instead of something less than .500"?
Because that is what he has.
Zulu

·
7,128 Posts
I suppose you could just wrap them loosely in aluminum foil and force them down the bore one at a time.

You could make 3 ball layers with .45 cal balls and have something that would work well.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
i am trying to wrap my head around this, why would you want to shoot multiple .45 cal balls out of a 1 inch bore cannon? What’s the point in this? Why not just shoot 1 inch zinc or pinballs?

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
i am trying to wrap my head around this, why would you want to shoot multiple .45 cal balls out of a 1 inch bore cannon? What’s the point in this? Why not just shoot 1 inch zinc or pinballs?

I’m with Fred. Those Brooks napoleons aren’t cheap. Why not spend the change for proper projectiles?

Would want a heck of a backstop for canister rounds. Plus, it’s a lot more fun to hit what one is aiming at.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fredstaple and Rifleman,
You guys are right and I agree.
But I dare you to say you never fired a shotgun at something just to see what damage it would do or just to see the pattern. I know I have. It was fun too!
I told him that I wouldn't try the .54 balls but if he had to try it, find three or four .44 balls and wrap them in foil with some sawdust.
I think there is no harm done with that.
Zulu

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Fredstaple and Rifleman,
You guys are right and I agree. But I dare you to say you never fired a shotgun at something just to see what damage it would do or just to see the pattern. I know I have. It was fun too!
Zulu
Zulu. You got me dead to rights. It would be a lot of fun. I kinda like the buckshot idea. 3 or 4 layers, packed with sawdust in thick foil. Great video material.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts