Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious question. Would it be possible to repair a hole in a shotgun barrel where the forearm screw lug should be then replace the screw lug too?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I just think it would be way to much trouble not that I think it would blow out the repair but I would think it would take a pretty good smith to make it concentric with the rest of the bore if it's not you are probly gonna have trouble with the pattern it throws. If it was farther down the bbl it would be easier but your talking about near center of the bbl. It would have to be filled then possibly machined and polished then the screw lug brazzed or silver soldered or tig welded? Every one of those steps the price per smith hours just keeps climbing and I would think if it could be done... you could possibly find another bbl cheaper. Maybe some one else has a better answer. Kurt

·
Super Moderator
51,409 Posts
How big is the hole? A small hole could be filled with solder, then burnished flush on the bore side with a tornado brush, done after soldering the forend stud on.

Tim

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't seen this barrel yet. I purchased it as part of a package deal. I was mainly after the stock and frame anyway. The thought has crossed my mind to make it a custom sawed-off. Whole new meaning to scatter gun right?!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Short forearm and pistol grip 20 gauge. Hmmm.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim,
From what I've been told it was a victim of the screw lug coming off while shooting then drilled and tapped and epoxied to put back together but wisely was never shot after that botched repair.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kurt,
I'm with you on the repair cost. Way more cheaper to find another barrel. I still have my old 20 gauge barrel that will probably go on this frame which is mainly what I was after anyway was the frame. I want to put my old 20 gauge back together just for sentimental reasons for me. Was just wondering if it was possible to repair that barrel and if it would be safe to shoot again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Using the barrel for a barrel stubbed low energy "rifle" would likely be a better use of that barrel. You just keep the back 4 inches or so and solder or thread the low intensity rounds barrel into it. I have a 38Special "Handi rifle" that was built that way using a 20 gauge barrel stub and a cheap new old stock IMI Timberwolf barrel blank. It is a hoot to shoot and I basically use it to re-create long range "buffalo" shooting in small scale at 250 yards. The POP....... wait for it.......bong of the 875 FPS 158 grain cast bullet puts a smile on anyone's face that plays with it.

Reactions: ncsHR2000

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now there's an idea! My thought was to shoot slugs out of it or buckshot.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How big is the hole? A small hole could be filled with solder, then burnished flush on the bore side with a tornado brush, done after soldering the forend stud on.

Tim
Tim,
When you say small hole how small we talking about? Or I guess I mean how large of a hole would you consider patching and be safe to shoot?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Is this what your thinking? One is a 45cal the other is a 58cal. Don't think you can legally do it with a smooth bore though overall length has to be like 26" I think. Kurt
Air gun Trigger Bumper Bicycle part Shotgun

Reactions: ncsHR2000

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now when you say overall length, is that including the buttstock or grip? Or is that barrel length on a smooth bore?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tax stamp wouldn't be worth it, but it would be fun. I have a pistol grip I picked up in a package of pull off parts, keep it stored at my buddy's until I move out of CA as I don't want even a hint of constructive possession. Even an 18" barrel and normal stock is tiny, was shorter than my 10/22. I had to measure it just to be safe.

Overall length, as regulated by the NFA. Minimum shotgun barrel is 18, minimum overall is 26. Shockwave style guns get around it by not legally being a shotgun. For you if you wanted to do a very short sawed off, would be $200 and a crap ton of paperwork.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep. Just one of those crazy ideas that pops into your head you know. Like I said, I haven't seen this barrel yet. It may be fixable as Tim suggested but we won't know that till it gets here to see what we're working with. I also said that I was mainly after the frame and stock set to build back my 20ga barrel that I still have. I don't know why I kept it all these years but I reckon we're gonna see this barrel shooting again soon.

·
Super Moderator
51,409 Posts
Tim,
When you say small hole how small we talking about? Or I guess I mean how large of a hole would you consider patching and be safe to shoot?
Up to about a #10 hole would be max IMO, you could also drill and tap a small hole and put a screw or plug screw in the hole being careful it's flush with the inside of the bore. I mounted a sight on the front of my M1908, drilled and tapped for a 6-48 screw, trimmed the end of the screw so it was flush with the bore.

Tim

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's definitely something to think about but like I said I don't know for sure what kind of shape the barrel is in. I really do appreciate all the suggestions. Guess we'll find out for sure when it gets here.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Depending on what the choke and how long it is if it's full you can cut off a few inches to just make it cylinder bore and should shoot foster style slugs fine to 50yrds or so. Kurt

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking about. But still would have to repair the forearm screw properly and I was actually thinking about a pistol grip more like a birds head in wood that I've seen somewhere. Also shooting buck shot out of it too. But, bird shot first till I get used to it. Lol. Just in case anybody is wondering where this thought is coming from think Mad Max.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Shockwave Raptor grip is what I'm thinking of.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts