Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
When I was a kid, I had an old Flobert gallery rifle in .32 rf with a hole drilled into the chamber with a screw holding the trigger mechanism in the bottom. Made extraction really stiff. So I got a compound called "plastic steel", put a greased fired case in, stuffed some plastic steel in the upper part of the hole, screwed the greased screw in and let it set up. Afterwards you could not see the hole in the chamber and trigger mechanism could still be removed. That was a fun old gun; gave it to my younger brother and someone stole it when he lived in Montana.
Bet you could do something like that for the shotgun.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was looking at that, too, with the idea of maybe using a pistol caliber barrel insert.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Inserts can work, but... What I have found is that they have to fit just right to be accurate. The best way to get that result is to make it to fit your own gun. I have a friend who made his own that is accurate, but it won't even fit in mine which is the same make and model. If you buy one, it's pot luck how well it will fit and how accurate it will be.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Okay. I have in my possession now this barrel that we been talking about. I removed the epoxy. Scrubbed out the hole that had been drilled in it. Started scrubbing out the barrel. I looked in this barrel and right where the hole is, it appears to be some fractures on either side of the hole that had been drilled in the barrel. Don't think I'll be trying any repairs of any sort to this barrel. I'm thinking that the only option now is to stub it off and maybe a pistol insert. Don't know if all of that would be the effort.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Camera work is not too good but it's the best I can do with what I have.

Automotive lighting Electric blue Lens flare Circle Liquid
Liquid Gas Electric blue Lens flare Water
Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Gas Electric blue

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This particular barrel will be put on the back burner for now. I got what I was mainly after with this purchase which was the receiver. I have looked into pistol inserts and have found a few options already. Some calibers in stock and some not. But for now, it's not a project that I want to get into.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts