Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of our Major and to a large degree, even the lesser colleges are recruiting stations for pro Ball teams. Everything else takes a back seat to sports.
We have athletes going to major colleges that can barely read and write.They most certainly can't speak proper English.If they are a gifted athlete, that is all thats necessary.

The University pays the coaches much more than the President of the school ::)

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2009/0926/p09s02-coop.html

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I'd go a different direction; no university/college that prioritizes their sports program should receive federal funding. If its they are that successful, they don't need our tax dollars. I'd rather those went to schools who were focused on educating the next generation of doers. Not future pain med addicts providing sports commentary.

Any university that pays their coaches more than their president does not need government subsidizing.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The revenue stream from selling branded sports merchandise is probably the biggest single source of income for many colleges. People gotta keep buying shirts to support the home team don't ya know!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
A full large football stadium grosses about $5 million around here for every home game. Most of the money is used to finance all the other sports like baseball, basketball, golf, swimming, tennis, soccer, all womens sports, etc. It also builds their arenas and fields, and Olympic sized swimming facilities. They used some of the money one year to build a new library on campus, also parking buildings, new student housing. Big football teams do produce a lot of money to pay for a lot of facilities. Some buildings are built by rich Alumni.

Most government money is used for Pell Grants or ROTC grants for education or for research. So cutting federal money might not really affect much.

As far as the SEC is concerned, all bowl money is split equally with all the schools.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
This isn't to difficult to understand. The sports coaches bring in the money. If they don't win they get the axe, but when they win they get better recruits and more TV money.

You get paid proportionately to what you produce. At least in the scheme of things today.

If its not acceptable maybe you need to take college sports off of TV.................good luck with that.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
What I see is good coaches make good things happen.

I have no idea of what a good college president does, never saw one. Given what I see from the colleges I know anything about I have to suspect if there were no presidents at all the schools would still keep chugging right along just fine, or at least no worse than normal. ??

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Good presidents hire good coaches. Good presidents also care about the other 95% of the student population, hires good faculty, works with donors, and makes sure that learning occurs, which after all is what the school is being paid to do. I've nothing against athleticism, or competition, but its a false narrative that is not producing or contributing to a better workforce or a better America. Meanwhile the student debt bubble is looming on our near horizon, with worse effects than the housing bubble, and we have a less educated generation of college graduates, with more debts, than any before. The rising number of graduates returning to live in mom's basement while they work two part time jobs, trying to get into a Masters degree program so they can defer their $70K student loan, aren't curing cancer, solving energy problems, etc. But they are loyal alum, and will buy team logo'd products for their alma mater. If that's what matters most to America, then why have schools at all, let's just have sports centers. Cut the farce, and stop weighting down the next generation with debt. Better yet, I think we should restore the gladiators, and hand out free bread to all the spectators.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
TeamNelson said:
Good presidents also .... hires good faculty, .... and makes sure that learning occurs,....

That's the part that bothers me, I just don't see much of it. I see many BS grads who can't read very well and understand little of what they read and their writing is often incomprehensible ... but they have diplomas! Maybe that's why so many companies only want to hire Masters - for now.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
I think the sports activities at schools are at least as important and beneficial to our society as "black studies" and a bunch of other nonsensical social crap that goes on at some schools.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think TN explained what a good President of a university does.We don't see it, because it would be boring to follow a College president around with a camera to show on the boob tube. The results of what they do can go unnoticed, where as a football game is viewed by thousands of people daily. But, the results of what a good school can produce show up in every day life. For instance! What do football or basketball stars do for the average Joe or Jill? Nada! But a good University given the chance will produce Doctors, Engineers or other professions that are necessary to society.

In today's world we place Way, WAY to much importance on sports. I never understood why a professional athlete has to come from a college :eek: They could be recruited from the streets so to speak, and leave college for people who actually need that education.
Start more programs like Pop Warner and recruit from there. JMO!

·
Registered
832 Posts
One of you nailed it. We as Americans have let ourselves be so dumbed down by the media and politics that sports is actually a national issue. Soccer mom's have to have Buffy in a soccer 'league' by at least the second grade if she want's to go to college (as she must). Dad has Billy playing football by the second grade and a full fledged "jock" by high school. Buffy and Billy can't do simple arithmetic without a calculator or computer and can't point to Paris, France on a world map....but BOY!!! are they good on the field. Sports probably brings in most of the GNP money even tho there is no relationship.
If you are interested look at a 3rd or 4th grade syllabus from the mid to late 1800's. Kid's had to know and master practical subjects. They actually had to learn how to write using cursive, the had to know the 'timeses', they had to know where Europe was, and they learned to speak in full sentences. They knew the history of their country, and how it came to be.
Go back a little farther (1800 years or so) and who was the dominant civilization in the civilized world? You got it!....Rome. What happened there?? Their government turned even more corrupt than ours. The big thing was "Sports".....gonna feed a few Christians to the lions next Thursday in the ampitheatre. Coming soon to an arena near you.......Gladius Maximus takes on three Frank gladiators. Bread will be thrown to the crowd. Meanwhile the senate goes about the business of self enrichment.
All this time the Vis-Goths were gathering outside the gate. One of the the greatest civilizations on earth was brought down by human nature....greed, arivice, and laziness. Do you see any similarities today with what is gathering outside our gates?

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Simple economics. Who brings in more money for the school, the dean or the coaches?

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's not just the schools which make $ from sports.

Here in Lubbock, every home football game is a conservative million dollar weekend for the local businesses. Motels, eateries, stores, gasoline etc.

Goobermint gets their cut from the sales tax.

However, the OP's point is well taken, but not about Salary.

Professors are pressured to give sports stars a minimum grade of C, regardless of the students performance. Often, coaches take professors to dinner (on the sports program large budget) to discuss these matters. Professors who refuse to cave better be tenured, or watch out! The tenured professor who's not on board, can forget about a chair. At a minimum he or she will be stigmatized and ostracized.

I do not have an issue with the sports department paying for a tutor. Tutoring is a common and accepted practice for all students.

Only 1/2 of 1% of college jocks actually transition into professional sports.

Once out of college, they have a degree and no skills. No one in the paycheck world is going to mollycoddle them. Oh well, the ranks of security guards are filled with former college jocks.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I hear it from veterans, served their 5 years, usually 2 combat tours, and then got out to use their GI Bill. Go to a big name school, excited to learn but a little more mature than the rest in some ways. Their also used to merit based success - luck is what you work hard and make for yourself. So imagine how they feel, having served 5 years, combat tours, lost friend and family, earning the GI Bill, only to sit down at a closed book final exam in a room that's about half varsity athletes who have open books and note cards. When my one friend complained to the professor, he was told he could walk out but he would fail. Otherwise, shut up, sit down. The message America is sending to hundreds/thousands of veterans is that athleticism is more highly valued than military service.

The OPs question was "Should" ... the answer is no. In reality they do, but they shouldn't.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I have long thought college should be an institute for learning. Football, basketball, hockey, soccer etc should only be a way of getting physical exercise..this sports madness is truly stupid.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
ultramag44 said:
Once out of college, they have a degree and no skills. No one in the paycheck world is going to mollycoddle them. Oh well, the ranks of security guards are filled with former college jocks.

There's the crux of the failure of our colleges & universities; kids who have been taught all of their life to believe they are wonderfully smart and of great value to the world have been churned through diploma mills with little or no helpful education. And at great cost. The result is a lot of frustrated graduates who often find it impossible to get jobs that will allow them to pay off the huge loans that were so easy to obtain, often with help from the school's financial aid officers.

Meanwhile, back on campus, the presidents are planning expansions to their plant facilities because life in plush living quarters and fancy recreation halls is appealing to new applicants. Schools can't make enough money from tuitions, grants and endowments to pay for the lavish facilities and excessive faculty salaries so lucrative sports programs are absolutely required to cover the shortfall.

Schools get unearned money from and for enrolled students but nothing from those who fail and drop out (ditto public schools). So, knowledge standards must be lowered to keep as many kids as possible in class no matter the final effect. Therefore, many colleges MUST have a large and attractive buffet of appealing and useless crib courses like 'effect of comic books on history', 'women's liberation', 'black studies', 'LBGT studies', 'sensitivity training', 'the history of beer' (all variations of titles of real college courses) and for the slightly more serious student they have sociology, anthropology, fine arts, art appreciation, physiology, etc.

A kid can easily fill four years with such useless fluff and leave with a diploma and a lot of junk "knowledge" but no preparation for life ... and many do. This should not be so. It was not always so, something has failed.

The failure is not the kids. It's not those who toss money on the schools hoping more money will help but it doesn't. I, for one, lay the poor graduated kid's relevant ignorance directly in the lap of the school's failed fat cat administrative officers, especially the president, for setting up a conveyor belt pushing out near meaningless diplomas at one end while sucking up rivers of cash at the other.

Seem the coaches are doing more for their schools than anyone else; pay them what they're worth. And pay the admin staff what they are worth too, which is usually a LOT less than they get now.

·
Registered
832 Posts
"WE have met the enemy and they is us" Sound familiar? How many kid's are pushed into sports because the "Glory Day's" of their parents are the high point of the parents life. We are becoming a sad society that bases personal achievement on how far you can throw, kick, or carry a ball.
Let's bring back the collesium and convicts on death row. The Media will make gazillions, the prisons will be emptied, the fast food delivery chains will be hiring extra drivers, and Congress can go about their business of self enrichment all under the guise of "This is what the people want" Maybe subsidize Wonder Bread to make loaves of bread that can be thrown without too much damage.......Win, Win Win, all around.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts