Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger Mark II in 30-06. The trigger is a little sloppy and heavy. Should I have a gunsmith install a new one or fix this one ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Should I have a trigger job done, or have a

I don't know about the Rugers as I have never owned one.

However, I own Winchester M70s and Remington M700s. I usually have trigger jobs done on them by a competent gunsmith and have the pull set at 3 lbs. You really can't go, or at least shouldn't go, below that on a factory trigger.

On my other Remchesters, I have installed Timney triggers. However, a good trigger job on the factory triggers is almost as good, if not just as good, as Timney triggers.

Now, if you want the absolute FINEST trigger in the world - BAR NONE [/color]- then take a look at the Jewell Triggers[/color]. They are expensive - about $230 - but let me tell you - they are worth every penny.

I have a Jewell trigger installed on my Remington BDL SS DM in 7mm-08. I have it set at 2 1/4 pounds (it could go much lower - like 1.5 pounds, but that's just too low for hunting) and I love it.

I don't know if Timney or Jewell triggers are available for the Rugers. I would think that Timneys are, but probably not the Jewells.

Speak to good gunsmith who has done several trigger jobs on the Rugers and ask him if he thinks that the Timney would be a better approach. Personally, I would go ahead and install a Timney, if it's available, rather than using the factory triggers.

Again, if it was a Remington or Winchester, I would either get a trigger job or go full out and get a Jewell.

However, be forwarned: If you use a Jewell Trigger - you may never go back to shooting any other kind of trigger again (except, perhaps, a Tikka trigger). :wink:

Zachary

·
Registered
3,161 Posts

Terry 1 : In the past I would install a new trigger and keep the factory one to put back into the rifle if and when I ever sold the rifle and it was usually a matter of time as I was in the firearms business and trading rifles was done quite often, then I would have the new trigger to put into a new rifle when I got around to getting one. :D JIM

·
Registered
4,461 Posts

Terry1,

I own Rugers and Timney Trigger [/color]makes an adjustable trigger just for your rifle. Smooth, crisp and a nice clean let off. About $60.00[/color] and you can do the job yourself. Go with the Timney and you won't be sorry. Lawdog

http://www.timneytriggers.com

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

I have to agree with Lawdog on this one. I have a Timney in my Ruger mkII and it is a great trigger. The Ruger mkII does not have an easy to adjust trigger like the Remington 700 or the Winchester mod. 70. It can be done by a very good gunsmith but the outcome is not as certain as with an adjustable trigger, as the Ruger trigger has to be stoned to adjust it.
BruceP

·
Registered
11 Posts

Terry
I install the Timney on all the Rugers I build. It usually takes a little tuning to get things "just right" but they are fairly straightforward.
Charlie

·
Registered
17 Posts

Glad you touched on the Jewell Triggers Zachary cause I was thinking about posting a question relating to them. A sniper on our SWAT team had his own personal Jewell Trigger in the SWAT Rem. .308 and now that the barrel is shot out of the rifle, is looking to unload the trigger. When I asked what he'd take for it, he told me that he'd settle for $150. I checked it out in the gun it's currently in and couldn't believe how smooth it was. They have it set to 2.5 lbs. The sniper told me that it's worth it. I just bought a Rem 700 VS SF in .22-250 and would love to change the trigger.

So what do you think??? Is $150 a fair price for the trigger?

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts

Five 0

Well, I paid my gunsmith $230 for mine - brand new - which is about what they retail for (go to www.midwayusa.com - they sell them for about $220 something too).

Most people charge a higher premium on used Jewell Triggers because, well, they are worth it. Their resale value is, as you have found out, pretty darn good.

$150 for a used one? It sounds about right, but if it were me, I would spend the extra money to get a new one.

Yes, the Jewell Triggers are absolutely phenomenal. NO ONE MAKES A TRIGGER LIKE JEWELL! My Jewell on my BDL SS DM in 7mm-08 is set at 2 1/4 lbs. (You can set this particular trigger down to 1.5 lbs with no problem.)

Another sign of super quality of the Jewell is that, at least on the Remington, when you thumb the safety on a factory Remington safety, it is HARD and seems to "click." However, on the Jewells, their safety is firm, yet SMOOTH AS BUTTER!

Let me warn you, if you get a Jewell trigger insalled on your VS, or any other rifle for that matter, you simply can't go back to shooting any other trigger. :oops:

I hope some day to have Jewells installed on all of my rifles (except Tikkas, which have, in my opininon, the finest factory triggers anywhere!) :-D

Zachary

·
Registered
156 Posts

I'd go with the Timmney trigger. I know several people that use them and are very happy with them. A gunsmith that knows what he's doing can get a great trigger pull from the factory trigger. My Mk II is an example of that and was done by Mr. Timmney personally.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Zachary...just spoke to the guy in our dept. who uses the trigger on the sniper rifle and he says it's only a year old. He also told me that it does include the safety and is two-stage. I think I'm gonna snap it up as it sure feels nice. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts

For some reason I was under the impression that it was an older trigger. A year old isn't bad. Heck, if you don't get it, then I might. :-D :) :-D

Zachary

·
Registered
7,075 Posts

For me, it would depend on whether the gun was otherwise good. If it's a good shooter, I'd replace the trigger. If not, I'd sell it and get a Tikka or CZ.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts

my gunsmith talked me out of putting a different trigger in my gun. he felt very confident that he could clean up the existing mechanism to a light and clean 2.5 # for alot cheaper ($25). i am taking the rifle to himn tuesday, i'll let you know how it is. btw, it is a ruger m77 2

·
Registered
60 Posts
Terri, my two cents worth maybe???

Most factory rifles need attention. I replaced the trigger on my Rem. 700 classic with a timmeny. It is a 220 swift and need a good crisp trigger. On my Rem 700 BDL .270 I had my gunsmith " slick" up the factory tirgger and it is fine for a hunting rifle. When I have a 1000ydr rifle built, I will put a jewell on it. Jewells are great, but I think they are a little over kill for a hunting rifle. If you have the extra bread, great. :toast: Here's to you OOBuckshot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts