Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend lives on the Oregon coast and invited me to shoot at his club Thursday. I took my Ruger#1S 45-70 because I hadn't shot it in a couple of years. I won't let a lapse like that happen again! I fired about thirty rounds, my friend ten or so. I use Trail Boss powder now that I am more seasoned and have some arthritis. Punching a large hole in the target is very satisfying and the reduced loads allow me to keep enjoying the big bores. I am glad I went when I did, the infamous Oregon rain is back after a week of sunshine.
FM

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Sounds like fun! I use either Trailboss or ADI 2207 for reduced loads with my Ruger #1H 450/400 NE 3”. Even managed to knock over a fox with it at 20yds a couple of years back. Geez, he came up fast after the second whistle! Don’t think he knew what hit him! Impressed my son no end, too, after a fruitless morning searching for deer.

https://imgur.com/IHH7KMs

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
I have been using Trail Boss in my 45-70 for years and it makes shooting it fun. I also have a barrel for my TCR 87 rifle in 7mm Remington mag that is dedicated to Trail Boss powder really nice for plinking.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
826 Posts
All I can say is I am jealous! My club, and every other place to shoot in my area is locked up tight. Can't wait untill our Governor wakes up and smells the coffee so he will let us open things up again. You guys are really fortunate to still have a place to go.:tango_face_crying:

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Well lucky for me I live on a small acres in the country and I have my own shooting range so I just walk out my front door about 50 yards to my shooting bench and I am ready to go. We have a city county range out by the lake but it is about 35 miles to it, only went out there once to many guys with AR 15 and ammo to burn sounded like a war zone and this was during the week no telling how it would be on weekends.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
826 Posts
Now I'm REALLY jealous! Not only a private bench rest, but away from the war zone.....

When the gun range is open, I mostly go during the week with my flintlocks. Pretty much have the place to myself then. I miss messin' with the flinters alot. It's going to be torture once that 36 caplock I got from nseries gets here, and I have to stand around waiting for the gun club to reopen the doors before I can play.

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
I have to brag a little, My Grand son gave me the bench rest it is solid garnet made for a machine shop to set delicate instruments weight 1200 lbs they were going to toss it out so he loaded it in the back of his truck and brought it to me, no movement with that one Smile

Deaconllb

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have to brag a little, My Grand son gave me the bench rest it is solid garnet made for a machine shop to set delicate instruments weight 1200 lbs they were going to toss it out so he loaded it in the back of his truck and brought it to me, no movement with that one Smile

Deaconllb

You are one SERIOUSLY lucky dawg!!!!!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I have to brag a little, My Grand son gave me the bench rest it is solid garnet made for a machine shop to set delicate instruments weight 1200 lbs they were going to toss it out so he loaded it in the back of his truck and brought it to me, no movement with that one.
Just rub it in, why don't you! :tango_face_devil:

~WH~

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recently sold my house in the Willamette Valley and moved back home east of the Cascades. I belong to
a club in salem that was closed immediately. They opened it up when I was in the middle of the move. My
membership will expire at the end of this month, will miss friends but not shooting through a barrel for
noise control. A friend that I went to school with has a private 1,000 yard range, informed me that I have
a lifetime membership, 24-7. He also has a separate pistol range. I am truly blessed to have moved back
home. Today is my first experience with windows 10, I miss windows 98! Everyone stay safe!
FM

·
Registered
826 Posts
My range/club reopened yesterday. I honestly expected to see lines waiting to use the remaining benches, but even though they redmoved some benches for "social distancing", it was simply bussiness as usual.

Come November, I and many others will keep in mind the way the Democrats treated us as criminals, and subjects as they enjoyed the game of playing dictator.....we didn't like the game.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
When it comes to shoulder issues, I may be the local expert. I have had FOUR rotator cuff repairs and all were complete separations. Two on each side, all within about ten years. Shoot me your questions.

I have a common answer for all. Sell your magnum rifles.

·
Registered
826 Posts
When it comes to shoulder issues, I may be the local expert. I have had FOUR rotator cuff repairs and all were complete separations. Two on each side, all within about ten years. Shoot me your questions.

I have a common answer for all. Sell your magnum rifles.

No shoulder separations, but the concept of dumping the heavy recoiling rifles/shotguns is the main reason I now use a 20 ga over a 12 ga for deer slugs. Don't know if it really counts, but for me it was old age and failing health.

Very sound advice Sir!:tango_face_glasses:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts