Graybeard Outdoors banner

201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
You are quite the detective :). My username is self explanatory. It's a J.C. Higgins Model 45 in .35 Remington, which was also sold as a Marlin 336.

Mine is from Sears, and was given to me by my grandfather, who passed away two weeks ago. RIP, Granddad.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Land_Owner said:
I am sorry for your loss. Tell us, was that gun bought new? If so, it is what, 65 years old? It looks to be in very good condition. An heirloom for your own kids at this rate. Very nice...

He was a good man, lived a long and happy life, and is in a better place now. We should all be excited to go, when it is our time.

The gun was purchased in 1957, according to the information verified from http://oldguns.net/, so that makes it 55 years old. For a shooter, it is in extremely good shape, and I intend to keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
After chasing hogs around all day I finally got the shot I wanted. Savage 10 Predator Max in 243. Shooting a handloaded 100 Sierra boattail soft point, just behind the head. Thanks for looking! JeffG

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
NICE ONE!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have to admit, the "updo" did look cool in the scope!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Me and my buddy Ben stalked up on a couple of sows and countless little ones last Saturday night.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Here is my 12 year old Grandson, Gunner, 200 pound plus (scale topped out at 200) Hog that he shot 10/14/2012 in Keatchie, Louisiana with his Remington Model 7 in .260 Rem, 125gr Nosler Partition that I gave him for last Christmas.

Jack

·
Registered
250 Posts
These are some photos of the hogs I've killed over the years. The two hogs in the first photo, I killed with a 22-250 at a distance of about 20 feet. The photos cover from 1969 up to 2008. Please click on the photo for a slideshow.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Good pics Ironwood. Makes a man easier to listen to when he can show he has done it. How old is that great big old 220 Kawasaki you got there. We still use our 1993 250 Yamaha Timberwolf we bought in 96. It thinks it is a 700 when we hit the woods.
Shot this one with a crossbow at 7 yards Saturday morning. Not the big sow I have been trying to catch up to but he will make some sausage for the winter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thank you DrDoug. Glad you enjoyed the photos. I'm guess that's the last of my hog hunting. Well hunting period. Third heart attack just about did me in.

Deernhog, thank you. That 220 lasted me about 14 years. I got a new green 220 in 2000. Still got that one. Strong enough to carry me and a deer or hog but light enough I could pull it out when it got stuck on a log or stump. Most of the area I hunted was fairly flat. Creek bottoms and palmetto flats. I have to admit a couple of times when I loaded up one of those hogs I had to walk along beside the 220 at times and help a little.

Oops almost forgot. Congratulations on the hog. Looks like a good one!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

Escanaba hog from "Hog Wild" at Northland. Fun hunt. Nice slideshow!

·
Registered
250 Posts
JCN, Glad you enjoyed the slide show. That's a mighty fine looking Boar you have there. Don't know if I care for all that snow. :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thank you! Ruger .44 mag. Redhawk with old red dot, 35 yard shot, 310 grain WLNGC at about 1200 FPS, bullet entered front of left shoulder and was found in right ham. Sow ran 25 yards and fell over dead. Delicious. Snow is good.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

This boar the year before. Shot it high just behind the shoulder at about 35 yards with a .454 Super Redhawk, 335 gr. WLNGC at about 1300 FPS. Hog fell over and didn't even wiggle. Then he got up and ran away. I found him under a blowdown and shot him in the nose. (Later found bullet in hip). Pig went "OINK" & got up and ran away. Followed after him in snow...got about 40' from him and he charged. Me and David opened up on him & after several shots he expired. I believe David was using a custom .500 WY Express.

201 - 220 of 251 Posts