Graybeard Outdoors banner
241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Went out for opening of turkey season, but this monster is what we ended up with......bottomed the scale out at 400 lbs.......

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
Which of those two "hawgs" weighed the most? ;)

Been a dreadfully slow progression and almost a YEAR with very few Take posts (yours today, January '15, last May). I know they are scarce in the daylight at my place.

Nice! Lotta meat there.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I wish I was as young as the feller holding the sniper rifle. if you follow the link he has a very descript account of the harvest. This particular porker has been on several cameras over the past 4-5 years but only nocturnal. We got lucky with the night vision. then it took over an hour to finally get him loaded and back to camp. Then the job of cleaning 200+ lbs of meat. Fun opening day of turkey season.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
BTW - the feller with the sniper rifle is 6'6" tall. That is one big piece of pork.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gren

That sow was the first of six my buddy Ben and I took last Thursday night. I use a 6.5 Grendel, one of the early Alexander Arms ARs, topped with an N750 digital NV. Handloaded 120 Nosler BTs are the only thing I feed it. That night we hunted a 60-acre wheat field and had pigs coming on from all directions. Winds were light but steady from the south, so we were very lucky at putting on the stalk. I used a hand-held thermal to spot, while Ben used a thermal rifle scope. He took the last boar of the hunt (220 pounds) at 2 am after we stalked to within 50 yards. Looking forward to a repeat this Friday night. You are correct about new blood in the hunting fraternity though. Here in my part of Texas decent leases are hard to come by, in fact I'll be off this one by the end of the month--the land owner passed away and his heirs want me off. At least I had a chance to get my granddaughter and two of my grandsons into hunting.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Went out for opening of turkey season, but this monster is what we ended up with......bottomed the scale out at 400 lbs.......
I wish pigs would spoil my turkey hunting:tango_face_surprise.... nice pigs!

241 - 251 of 251 Posts