Graybeard Outdoors banner

Show us some hogs!

59K views 250 replies 65 participants last post by  jeffg 
#1 ·
Let's see some pictures of your hogs...big or small.

Here are a few of mine. All killed in Central Texas on a ranch on the Colorado river.

See less See more
#2 ·
E. Central FL Hogs

That B/W hog is a nice trophy. The gun is a perfect prop for the pic.

Here are three that we liked to "keel" ourselves over getting them out of the pen and into the truck...and three brothers that came under the stand. I had to remind myself, "Don't shoot yourself in the foot...Don't shoot yourself in the foot..."

Attachments

#5 ·
jmayton, you can't kill wild hogs with that rifle! It isn't powerful enough. You need at least a 4570, or a 358 Win Bag! ;D

By the way! Check out my avatar. Same rifle, same setup. Works good don't it? ;)

#6 ·
OK, here goes.

Tenn. pig

[IMG]

texas javelina

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/FH000013.jpg

sow shot in south Texas

3 shot in south Texas

Tenn. hog, taken circa 1982, with .54 cal. muzzleloader

warhog taken this year. Limpopo, RSA

Mad Dog

#8 ·
Yeah, Dee, you're right. That big boar in the really dark pic charged me when I shot him in the head. Two more quick shots and he wen't down. Sure got my blood pumpin'. Honestly, I'll shoot 'em with whatever I have available...and if no guns...then knives...no knives, a long, pointy stick. Whatever works....but the AR is almost perfect. Maybe I need a 450 Bushmaster upper, though...hmmm.

Mad Dog, nice hogs. I especially like the Tenn. pig.

#9 ·
The one in my avatar is a big boar. With my own size (6'3" 240lbs) he looks smaller than he actually is, which is about 325 lbs. It was really exciting when I shot him. ::) I slipped up on him while he slept under a cedar in a cedar break. Slipped a 52 grain match hollow point into the back of the neck, and he kept right on sleeping. ;D
I shot a huge sow (almost 400) with a 4570 405 grainer cast, at about 1800 fps. She was tired of running from the dogs, and they for the moment had lost her, but she found me. I shot her above and to the left of her left eye with her facing me from about 20 feet away. It exited her butt, and she fell on her tracks. BORING! Way too much gun.
I'm like you. I shoot'em with what I have. 3030 is a great hog gun, but my favorite carry is a Model 92 Winchester clone with a 24" barrel in 357 magnum. Holds 13 rounds, and will do any thing a 3030 will do inside 100 yards, and won't shoot 7 or 8 miles.
The Dallas boys like the 7mm mags, 300 mags, ect. They don't kill many hogs, but they make a lot of noise, and tell some good stories about those dangerous hogs they killed.
I have friends that do the knife deal, but with pseudo rabies, and another hog related disease I can't remember that they carry, my 59 year old carcase will stay with gun powder.
I would post the other hogs but don't know how. I seldom take pictures, they have been around this part of Texas for over a hundred years, and are common. I'm the same with with antler though. I shoot what is legal, and don't care about the rack. I eat the meat, not the horns.

#10 ·
Dee, posting pictures is easy...i think there's something in the main info faq's and such. Where are you at in Texas? I'm near Austin.

As for calibers, I've taken them with 2 different .223's, 30-06, 7.62x39, and 7.62x54r. The AR is my favorite and with 55gr Sierra Gamekings, they go down hard....unless i just make a bad shot. But then again, I've made bad shots with the others and watched them run off into the brush before they die. But I feel confident with the AR because if I get in to a lot of pigs or one doesn't go down with the first shot I can quickly follow up.

#11 ·
I sent you an email regarding my location north of Dallas Texas. I currently have a Leupold 3.5 to 10 power Vari-X III on mine, but I may have liked the 2 to 7 power Vari-X II I had on it better. It seemed faster but, I can't make up my mind. Either way it is a tack driver, and has killed a lot of coyotes too.
As for pictures, I suck at understanding such. If someone sits down and SHOWS ME, I am good to go though. My computer skills are limited. I am a 59 year old self taught. When I bought my first one, I had to not only put everything together, I had to figure out how to turn it on. LOL !

#12 ·
What-the...? Huh? I'll be...! No Way!

When you got your PC you didn't have to solder the printed circuit board together?

Using the back of your hand, check the output from the high voltage Capacitor?

Self-program the Operating System, and I don't mean load the disc?

Experiment with the command DELETE *.*?

You must have come "on-line" during the easy(ier)-going MicroSoft days.

Well let me tell you, it was WAY differnet in the DOS days. We punched cards, made chad, created code, and had a technician feed the cards into a light source card reader which transposed the english language into machine language of 1's and 0's. We used those chads at football games and left the stadium looking like it had just snowed (hehe). The cleanup crew hated us if it rained the evening after the home game.

Later you had to use IBM machines or the "Apple", whatever that was. And there was no Hard Drive. You had to manipulate 5.25-inch floppy disks into the machine with about a 0.00025 Kbps "baud rate" and the speed of a snail across a linoleum floor for input/output. The computer had about 125 KB of TOTAL storage capacity. Programs had to run EFFICIENTLY and not use eggregious amounts of high memory storage or the CPU would just sit there and cook - and spend all of your tuition money on CPU connect time.

And the phone would do that ringading-ding-ding-dong.....thingamajig when connecting (oh that was the modem and later in the story...sorry).

But I digress...this thread is about hog pictures and I'm gonna have to separate these reminiscences to another thread me thinks.

#13 ·
That's ok. I didn't understand a damn thing you said anyway, and it really sounded boring what ever it all meant. I'd have probably sold the copper, and bought ammo and gas with the money.
You smart guys can have all that, including those $4.00 words, and you can sit around and tell each other about it, cause I ain't interested. ;)

#19 ·
S_J_KENNELS said:
I have friends that do the knife deal,
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the ONLY way to hunt hogs ;D

LOL For me hunting with knives is the only way if you want a real rush. I still shoot alot but I like the hands on way LOL. I still want to kill one with a bow though LOL.
LOL! For me hunting with knives is the best way for my old carcus to get hurt. I ain't fast enough anymore, and am too old to enjoy a "real rush". I had rather just rather have fun in a calm sort of way. ;) I sure don't mind if you Jack the Ripper types have that real rush though. I shoot a traditional bow, and would like to kill a hog with my bow too, but everytime I leave the house, I keep grabbing a Winchester by mistake.

#21 ·
jmayton, looks like you and your wife chose targets at opposing ends of the hogs. Is that normal, or just happen stance?

#22 ·
Well, I've taught her to take head/neck shots and sometimes she misses a bit...especially on the small ones. That's what happened here. Then once she shoots, I have to try to get whatever I can while they scatter. I was just happy I hit it. When they scatter like that, it's kinda like dove hunting...on the ground...with a scoped rifle.

#23 ·
jmayton, I was just jackin with ya. When you said you gave her the first shot it's understood the others are goin to scatter. Sometimes you hitt'em where ya can to slow'em down for a follow up shot.

#24 ·
Dee, I know. It does look like she and I shoot for the extremes though. I'm getting much better at the whole acquire target, fire, aquire new target, fire, aquire...etc., etc. bit. My former Marine buddy would call it training.

By the way, the last time we were out, she out shot me on the two pigs we killed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.