Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a sidekick tonight that is stuck shut and has been for about a year. It feels like the lever/button is not working as it should what the best way to open. Gun is unloaded. last owner said went to check sight before season wouldn't open.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
gismored79 said:
I got a sidekick tonight that is stuck shut and has been for about a year. It feels like the lever/button is not working as it should what the best way to open. Gun is unloaded. last owner said went to check sight before season wouldn't open.
There is a possibility that the firing pin broke, and part of it is now stuck in the forward position preventing the gun from opening.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If it has the original breechplug it can't be the firing pin. I would remove the forend and use penetrating oil on the hinge area and generously through the insert slot and around the barrel frame gap. Let it sit for a few days. Does the latch lever depress. if it does then the latch is more than likely rust welded to the shelf. Oil lots of oil. Then place the frame on a table with the barrel extended out in the air and rap it with your hand. You might want to rap the barrel on the breech end side to side with a wooden or rubber mallet but don't beat it too hard. If it is rust it will eventually come loose with enough patience. . . and oil . . . and oil. And then you might get to do it all over again with the breech plug.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
might even want to get the stock off
and set the receiver/barrel down in a
coffee can full of atf for a day or five.
it'll come aloose with a little finesse and patience.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
handirandy said:
If it has the original breechplug it can't be the firing pin. I would remove the forend and use penetrating oil on the hinge area and generously through the insert slot and around the barrel frame gap. Let it sit for a few days. Does the latch lever depress. if it does then the latch is more than likely rust welded to the shelf. Oil lots of oil. Then place the frame on a table with the barrel extended out in the air and rap it with your hand. You might want to rap the barrel on the breech end side to side with a wooden or rubber mallet but don't beat it too hard. If it is rust it will eventually come loose with enough patience. . . and oil . . . and oil. And then you might get to do it all over again with the breech plug.
handirandy - You got me there, I was mentally thinking Handirifle/shotgun. My mistake.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
handirandy said:
Ranger99 said:
might even want to get the stock off
and set the receiver/barrel down in a
coffee can full of atf for a day or five.
it'll come aloose with a little finesse and patience.
Or use penetrating oil or Kroil.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
OldSchoolRanger said:
any would work well i'm sure. my thought was that it'd be a bit spendy
to buy enough of either to fill a coffee can. atf is still (relatively) inexpensive.
last time a bought a can of kroil i liked to have had a fit :(

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Ranger99 said:
OldSchoolRanger said:
any would work well i'm sure. my thought was that it'd be a bit spendy
to buy enough of either to fill a coffee can. atf is still (relatively) inexpensive.
last time a bought a can of kroil i liked to have had a fit :(
I know the feeling, I still have a can that I've been using for I believe 4-5 years.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
gismored79 said:
Release lever moves down but feels broke or not connected right will oil tonight. Anyway other to release latch.
Get the gun open first. If the problem is the release lever, it can be easily fixed.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
OldSchoolRanger said:
I know the feeling, I still have a can that I've been using for I believe 4-5 years.
it won't last that long for me. i use it for automotive, farm, and guns.
want to get some rusty nuts off an old implement? that kroil will sure
do it without having to break anything. best exhaust stud p. oil still
available. ford used to have some foamy black moly stuff that was the
best, but they discontinued it some time ago. it would get an exhaust loose.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
gismored79 said:
ok got it soaking in oil. So theory is latch rusted in place just needs to free up correct. thx for the help guys
gismored79 - You get it freed up yet?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took it to a gun smith he pushed the hinge pin out got the barrel off like that. He found a broke part under the barrel lug appears to part of release lever got a new release lever on the way. Latch moves freely by figure pressure. Thanks for the help guys it is nice to have place where we can help each other and talk about guns we use and love without worry of bashing.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
glad to hear it worked out.
be glad to see the photo of the
big deer you take with it.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
gismored79 - Like Ranger99 said; happy it worked out.

BTW I didn't notice that your a fairly new member, I would like to extend a hearty Welcome to you from us Handiholics at GBO. Sorry I missed it earlier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts