Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rifle Men (and Ladies if you are there)

Has anyone had any experience with SIG SHR970's? I am thinking of buying one. They are not on the US SIG webpage anymore, so I guess they are discontinued. I am interested in accuracy, fit and finish, general quality etc. Is the trigger any good and/or adjustable on these? How about the barrel switch-out feature- worth anything?

I am looking at one in 308 with a wood stock. Is the 308 on a short action in these rifles?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scout :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Scout,

Not too many people know about the Sig SHRs, but they are great rifles nonetheless. As far as quality is concerned, I believe that they are excellent, similar to Tikkas. Both the Sigs and Tikkas have excellent triggers and their fit and finish is outstanding. I'm not sure if their triggers are adjustable, but they are crisp and break very well. Oh...and their bolts are silky smooth - just like the Tikkas.

Wood stocked SHRs usually sell between $450 to $550, with synthetics a bit less.

Barrels usually sell between $150 to $200 (if you can find them).

I too have some concerns about the availability of the SHRs. I don't know if they are being discontinued, but I do know that there are not too many of them around (there just wasn't a demand for them).

Another concern is scope mounts - I just don't know who makes mounts for it.

Zachary

·
Registered
15 Posts
SHR 970

SHR in 308, I had one two years ago. As far as quality goes, it was a nice rifle. I managed to get 1.25" 100 yard groups with it. The model I had was with a synthetic stock. After some research, I found that the early SHR's had a trigger that was adjustable to 3.5#, and the later models had a trigger just like the Remington BDL, and it was adjustable to about 2.5#, and crisper than the early models. The two 308's I looked at, both had the early trigger.

The local gunsmith (Bolsa Gunsmithing), liked the quality of the rifle, and they thought it was well set up to have the interchangeable barrels (it was a good system).

All in all it was a good hunting rifle. I am sure Sig did not manufacture it (my speculations here). The synthetic stock was very much like Howas synthetic stocks (rough positive checkering that can be fixed with a little steel wool). My guess as to the manufacturer would either be Howa or Beretta.

I think the SHR is a good buy, but these days I would rather get a Tikka or CZ 550 for about the same money, unless you could find the extra barrrels, magazines, and/or bolts for at least one additional caliber. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts