Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the skinner on my 1894 and it is hitting 6" high at 25 yds,so I need a taller front site (barrel mount). Looking at the add the tallest sight is .500", my original sight is .498" I measured from the top of the sight to the very bottom of the overall sight of the dovetail. Where am I going wrong or is there something wrong. Also what is the normal thickness 1/4" or 3/8" for hunting purposes.Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
You have adjusted the rear sight down as far as possible and you're still 6" High? Just making sure I understand where you are at. ;) **edit** Oh and what caliber 1894?

***edit***
Well looking over the front sight page, there is a .65" high front sight on the skinner sight. You need to increase at least .144" in order to just get on target. If you are currently at .498", then the .65" height should work and even give you a little extra bottom adjust in case you get some heavier bullets or slow down the ones you are shooting. hehe ;)
http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 357 and yes it is hitting 6"high at 25yds with handloaded 180grainers. I went ahead and sent andy an e mail yesterday and what you mentioned(.650) is also what he stated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Hey Danny,

Thanks for sending the Email. Internet time has been limited with production being very busy. I answer Emails ([email protected]) about twice a day so that is the best way to contact. We have standardized our front sights and they are now available in the following configurations.

(All sights are sized for a standard 3/8" dovetails and have blades .070" wide)

(Base Width) (Height)

1/2" .650" (for barrels that are dovetailed)

3/8" .400" - .450" - .500" (For 3/8" wide Ramps)

1/4" .400" - .450" - .500" (For 1/4" wide Ramps)

LOTS of information available at www.skinnersights.com on our Technical Page, Frequently Asked Questions Page, and Front sight Page.

Please read the information carefully as it should answer almost any front sight question you may have.

Thanks!

ANDY

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent you an email and have recieved what you mentioned,with a little bit of fileing I am as good as new. Very helpful and an excellent addition to the rifle.Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.