Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She just popped up on my I phone talking to me while I was driving. Asking me if I needed her help with GPS navigation. I yes and she did, got me through traffic and right to where I wanted to go.
Wow, years ago you had to buy an expensive devise like a Garman to be able to do this.
And now it's right there on your phone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,318 Posts
If one chooses to imbibe the things are amazing.


Sent via Pony Express rider through Indian country.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gene_225 said:
Not my phone. All it does is call and answer (if I turn it on).

Wife has been playing around with Siri, it's amazing and a little scary what she can do.
They used to call these Verbots GM used them for presentations. Now they are called Verbal assistants.
But they are much more advanced now than they once were. Siri can carry on a conversation and not be
redundant when asked questions.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ask her to find someone in your contacts only useing their phone number. She will find them and their home
address as well as where they currently are, every web site they are subscribed to, posting thier activity on that site, as well as thier friends list and all about them as well. If Siri can do this, what can the government do?
It's the smart phones I do believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Heck about half the time lately when I activate her I can't even get siri to call my wife. It just keeps giving suggestions of what she can help me with and even after 4-5 tries of asking her to call my wife I get nothing. Sometimes I can turn it off and back on and it might work.

Bruce
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BruceP said:
Heck about half the time lately when I activate her I can't even get siri to call my wife. It just keeps giving suggestions of what she can help me with and even after 4-5 tries of asking her to call my wife I get nothing. Sometimes I can turn it off and back on and it might work.

Bruce

I've been reading up on this, it seems it isn't Siri. It's people overwhelming her with improper request.
And hackers attempting to get her to respond to improper request.
She isn't that kind of girl and was never made for that.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We just like what she can do for our phones. If people want porn talk they're are plenty of places on the web where they can get that. Why do they have to take anything good and try to twist it around to something sick?
She is only a navigator of sorts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Argent11 said:
BruceP said:
Heck about half the time lately when I activate her I can't even get siri to call my wife. It just keeps giving suggestions of what she can help me with and even after 4-5 tries of asking her to call my wife I get nothing. Sometimes I can turn it off and back on and it might work.

Bruce

I've been reading up on this, it seems it isn't Siri. It's people overwhelming her with improper request.
And hackers attempting to get her to respond to improper request.
She isn't that kind of girl and was never made for that.
Maybe I'm confused but how is asking Siri to call my wife or anyone else in my contact list an improper request?

Bruce
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BruceP said:
Argent11 said:
BruceP said:
Heck about half the time lately when I activate her I can't even get siri to call my wife. It just keeps giving suggestions of what she can help me with and even after 4-5 tries of asking her to call my wife I get nothing. Sometimes I can turn it off and back on and it might work.

Bruce

I've been reading up on this, it seems it isn't Siri. It's people overwhelming her with improper request.
And hackers attempting to get her to respond to improper request.
She isn't that kind of girl and was never made for that.
Maybe I'm confused but how is asking Siri to call my wife or anyone else in my contact list an improper request?

Bruce

It isn't, it's the system gets bogged down sometimes with all the rest of what's going on with her.
Kids mess with her a lot and a lot more people are starting to use it having her find things for them
on the web or as a GPS. Or that's what AT&T says. It's only a program that uses outside sources for information. Improper request can mean a lot of things not always something bad it's only a term they use.
You do notice she talks in riddles sometimes avoiding what we think is a logical question.

The old Verbots were like that we are not talking to anything that is AI, only scripted. Siri is a lot more advanced than the Verbots were that's for sure, but useing the service uses a lot of power and and your data.
Some people are finding that out when they get thier bill and are charged for going over their minutes or data.
One thing that's great is the voice recognition technology, the old Verbots were trying to use Dragon speak easy.
Which I never could get to work so I had to type in any request. But they would put a face up on your screen to see which showed emotions and expressions.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far in nautical applications the Siri system is useless and no match for Garman. Siri is cellular dependant on those towers and repeaters. So if you don't have a signal she can't do much for you only access what's already
in your phone. She is not a satellite service where the nautical Garman is and you pay for that.
Maybe they didn't put a face to Siri because they didn't want you looking at her while you are driving?


All I'm interested in is her GPS turn by turn abilitys or like you say Bruce getting her to dial a number for me.
She's in some of these new cars but you have to get a wi-fi service so it's not free. The old Garmans and Tom Toms were a free service but not anymore but I haven't used mine in years. They wanted to charge me for updates and service in some places. Plus I had to type everything in where with Siri I just tell her where I want to go. But I figure they will start charging for her any day now, like Verizon started charging separate for you using your hot spot on top of your data.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,631 Posts
Argent11 said:
...............................
......................................... If Siri can do this, what can the government do?
It's the smart phones I do believe.
I've got nothing :-[ and nothing to hide. :)
Re phone. My "stupid" flip phone is smarter than I am. :(
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BBF said:
Argent11 said:
...............................
......................................... If Siri can do this, what can the government do?
It's the smart phones I do believe.
I've got nothing :-[ and nothing to hide. :)
Re phone. My "stupid" flip phone is smarter than I am. :(

I don't either and my phone is smarter and it has a better memory than I do.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, my wife is useing the Siri-Pro version for her job. Good thing we didn't have to pay for it cost $1200.00 dollars. But listening to it, it's about the closest to AI I've ever seen. Once it became adjusted to her voice she just speaks reading off a document for dictation and the program does everything else.
In the proper boxes with proper grammar and spelling. It doesn't beat around the bush it's like it carries on a
convertation with you. And then just prints it out for you.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It all seems virtually worthless unless you can use it for business or have a lot of money to waist lol.
But it is a good GPS navigator and web assistant. But if Apple is putting this tech in a small smart phone.
It won't be long before it will show up in other devises. And apples new CEO Tim Cook is taking the company in a whole new different direction, AI. And it's coming people quicker than you think.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tried to push her on the issues of politics last night and kept after her to answer and not keep redirecting me to some web site, or playing her word games. I wanted to see how far I could push her before she had a differant response. So I started repeating to her everything she was saying. That went on for about a minute then it was like she snapped like an angery woman. I had read about people trying that with her, testing.

All of a sudden she was not so nice, even her voice sounded agitated. Told me to stop mocking her, it was rude inappropriate behaviour and she wasn't going to tolerate it. Then she turned herself off and wouldn't come back on until this morning. A very strange program I've never seen anything like it.
But Susan Bennett the voice behind Siri says on her web site that she will do that if you push her to far.
And to not ever attempt to cuss at her or get her to say cuss words, she will shut down.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BBF said:
Maybe we have to worry about the "Rise of the Machines" more than ISIL etc.

I have found the British Siri to be the nicest, a little bit more meek and cooperative. The American is a bit harsh and sticks only to bussness. The Austrailan " Karen Jacobson" is hard to understand and rough around the edges. But the British interacts with my grandson like a kind nanny. She tells him story's and sings to him.
She is the best one to choose her real name is "Julie Roberts " and she strives to be proper acting more like a friend and less like a program.

We use Julie as our alarm clock, instead of that loud buzz you get this nice lady telling you it's time to wake up.
And she really is a big help, I haven't had to use my touch pad since we activated her. Like the touch pad replaced the keyboard, the voice command will replace the touch pad. But if you switch nationallity or accent,
that Siri has to learn you all over again, so it's best to try and stick with one. It may still be Siri, but it's a differant nationality and a whole new ball game. Tailored for that nationality as well as its customs.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top