Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Dixie Gun Works sells a slap hammer. So if I was to get one I see a problem I would have. I would need
to prick the powder blank charge. My charges are double heavy duty aluim foil and a plastic baggie. I was thinking a 7/64" drill thru the musket nipple and use a 5/64 or 2mm brass rod to prick the charge. Does this sound like a good plan or there another way around this besides removing/installing nipple between each shot?

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
A .07 in hole through your musket nipple should be reasonable and will allow the musket cap to self eject if set up right. Just sand the brass rod to fit the musket nipple . Much bigger then .07-.075 and the blowback from a cap gets pretty violent , not like having a fuze in the hole.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A .07 in hole through your musket nipple should be reasonable and will allow the musket cap to self eject if set up right. Just sand the brass rod to fit the musket nipple . Much bigger the .07-.075 and the blowback from a cap gets pretty violent , not like having a fuze in the hole.
Right now I use friction primers and the vent hole is .20. My vent is treaded where it can be easily removed. I plan on making a new vent plug taking into account to use with slap hammer only. I may tread the vent plug directly to take the musket nipple. Maybe I should start off with a ,07-.075 hole thru the musket nipple. It will get erosion on the nipple hole and the smaller hole will last longer. Thanks. .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drill and tap the vent for the nipple. Drill the nipple out for the prick.

Why change to slap hammer if you have friction primers?
I like to have options. Musket caps $7.50 per hundred. Friction primers about $150 per 100 shipped. Also friction primers were in short supply this year. We shot 90 rounds in 2021. I expect to do more this year. I do like friction primers.. If I get the slap hammer working correct with musket caps next is to make another vent/slap hammer for 22 blanks. Then I can go to Home Depot , Lowes or local lumber yard for 22 blanks.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
When you make the set up for the higher power caps it works better to use 9/16 threaded stock for the hammer base instead of 1/2 in threaded stock. The 9/16 stock won't swell like the 1/2 will over time.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Drill it for Hilti power loads . Its how I shoot my Dom made Parrott gun .

Reactions: Ex 49er

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
I took a couple pics , but I don't know how to post them anymore .

They are not Hilti they are Remington #4 yellow .22 cal.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
If memory serves me right you are the one I gave a recovered 40mm dummy round from the eureka ca cannon shoot years ago when Dilling was still alive . Thank you for the photo.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
I was at those shoots for only the last 10 years or so that they had it, partly as an observer and partly as a participant with a beer can mortar. If memory is correct, the only 40mm projo I have is one I dug out of the hillside at 425 yds.
The slap hammer on the GB Parrot also fits on the 1" accessory barrel I had Dom make me at the same time which fits on the same carriage.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts