Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM WANTING TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE IS HAVING THE PROBLEM THAT I AM. ON MY M&P 45ACP MY MAGAZINES ARE BULGING AT THE TOP. THIS IS CAUSING THE SLIDE STOP TO BE ACTIVATED. I HAVE PUT ABOUT TWO THOUSAND ROUNDS THRU MY M&P. NOW IF I DON NOT MUSH THE TOP OF THE MAGAZINE IN IT WILL STOP THE CYCLING OF THE WEAPON EVERY ROUND. IS ANYONE ELSE RUNNING INTO THIS PROBLEM. I AM SERIOUSLY ABOUT TO GO BACK TO MY GLOCKS.

PAUL

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
I love S&W revolvers but have never had any use for their semiautos. I think I've owned a grand total of two centerfire S&W semiautos plus a few of the rimfire Model 41 which is actually a nice gun. Go back to your Glock.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I myself only own 2 or 3 revolvers by S&W My son owns a 9mm by S&W. My experience Is only good with S&W auto loaders And revolvers

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Their semi autos have not had a good reputation over the past decades. I have used their Model 39, plinking, which worked ok. And one of their newer 9 MM double action types in the mid-90's, which jammed alot. They make a good revolver though, but I would not make a special effort to buy one of their centerfires.

It seems odd on how they continue to do that with the revolver versus semi-auto pistols.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Prebanpaul, I've got an M&P 40 that I've had for a year or two and I haven't experienced the magazine bulging at the top. Give S&W a call, I'm sure they will make it right with you. There is also a web site that is all about the S&W M&P's, http://mp-pistol.com/boards/ go to the web sight and see if others there are having this problem.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I CALLED AND SPOKE WITH SMITH AND WESSON TODAY. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. THEY EXPLAINED TO ME THAT THEY ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE SLIDE STOP AND ARE RECALLING A LOT OF THEM. "THEY JUST HAVENT ANNOUNCED IT YET". THERE SENDING ME A NEW ONE. THEN I WAS TOLD THAT THEY WOULD NOT REMOVE THE MAGAZINE DISCONNECT. THEN I WAS TOLD THAT THE NEW $650 SMITH M&P 340 WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO COMPLETE A TRIGGER ENHANCEMENT ON IT. WHAT CAN THEY DO. ABOUGHT TO SELL OFF ALL THE SMITHS AND GO BACK TO GLOCK.

·
Registered
164 Posts
No offense, but it sounds like you were against the pistol from the start. Manufacturers don't always get the proper information about "problems" from the field and I, for one, if it was my business, I'd be really sure a recall was needed before I started one. I sympathize with you on your problem, but it sounds like Smith was willing to send you a new slide stop. What else can they do? Have you send in the pistol to replace the slide stop? Also, I don't blame them that they wouldn't remove the magazine disconnect. I can only imagine what the liability and bad press would be should, heaven forbid, someone was injured or killed because the magazine disconnect did not work. As far as the 340 goes, take it to a good gunsmith and have him do the work.

I've had Smith Autos over the years, and although I never liked the 6906 series, as a duty weapon, I put 12,000 round through one and 14,000 rounds through another and I never had a malfunction that wasn't ammo-related. I've also owned a 5906, a 39-2, a 469, 539, and I'm not sure what else, but they have all functioned and performed well. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Sorry if this ticks you off, but Smith & Wesson is still an American company making American-made products and I think they are trying hard to satisfy their customers.

Steve

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I can tell you that I was not against the gun from the start. Actually I was very very for it. I own a gun shoppe and have trade both of my glocks in on two new Smith M&P Pistols. I have raved about how fast they were to shoot and how naturally they point. I love the looks and feel. How ever if they get you dead, that is not good. Plus they already make the M&P with out the magazine disconnect. Bottom line is that I have two things that need to be fixed and or upgraded on my smiths. The request are not unreasonable and they refuse to take care of it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have the M&P .45 and 9mm;have ran several 100's of rounds thru both.Both have worked flawless.I change mags every week or so.I have 6 for each one.Sorry for your problem.Hope you get it resolved soon......Rick

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a full sized M & P 40 caliber and a M & P 9mm compact. The 40 caliber has never had any kind of problem with over 3000 rounds through it. Great ergonomics, very accurate and very dependable. My compact had some feed problems. I called their service dept and they sent a shipping label and I Fedexed it to S & W, they repaired it. No problem since with over 500 rounds through it. They sent me an extra magazine for my trouble all at no cost to me. Great customer service!
Since the 45 is kinda new on the market, I've been keeping up with what owners are saying and 99% is very positive. I'll be buying the MP 45, in DEB, hopefully very soon. ;D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just wanted to add to this. I own a gun store as stated before. I had to send a guest compact 9mm back today.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I've had nothing but good luck with S&W pistols. All have been reliable as any SIG, Glock, Beretta, etc. I do think that they are having what I call growing pains with the M&P. Once they get the minor production bugs worked out, I feel the M&P is going to be a World class pistol. Smith has one of the best customer service depts in the business, let them fix it before giving up. They will pay shipping both ways. Hey, I had to send my Glock 30 in to get the from the factory bent ejector replaced! It happens.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like Graybeard, I love S & W revolvers, but I would never own their autos. I tend to prefer Glocks. Just my opinion. I am partial to what I have trusted my life to.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've had an M&P 40 for a couple of years, several thousand rounds through it without a hitch, I know quite a few people who own them and have had excellent luck with them, most haven't had any problems at all, and if they did S&W took care of it quickly and without much fuss. The pistol isn't perfect, there have been a few things pop up as with any new product, but S&W is taking good care of their owners, and it's surprising how many of those are disaffected Glock owners who sell their Glocks after getting the M&P.

As far as their not removing the magazine safety, most manufacturers are scared of product liability and that's the reason why they won't do it, try sending a 1911 back to the manufacturer asking them to disable the grip safety, you won't get very far asking any manufacturer to disable a safety item. I'll take an educated guess that's what you are running into on the trigger work, I've heard a lot of people over the years who have had spring kits in the revolvers and sent them in for service and them complained that S&W replaced their springs with the factory OEM, but S&W warns people not to send in custom grips or any other similar things, as they probably won't get them back.

The M&P is a fine pistol and gaining wide acceptance by civilians and law enforcement agencies, just give it a chance and you will be taken care of.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got to ship back a 45acp. Embarrassing as it was my dads Christmas gift. He would not figure out why it would not take down right. They for got to install the lever for the take down. But that being said since I thru away the one problem magazine and got my new slide stop no problems since. Also I have place second and first In the last two IDPA matches I shot in. So they shoot fast.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Prebanpaul said:
I AM WANTING TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE IS HAVING THE PROBLEM THAT I AM. ON MY M&P 45ACP MY MAGAZINES ARE BULGING AT THE TOP. THIS IS CAUSING THE SLIDE STOP TO BE ACTIVATED. I HAVE PUT ABOUT TWO THOUSAND ROUNDS THRU MY M&P. NOW IF I DON NOT MUSH THE TOP OF THE MAGAZINE IN IT WILL STOP THE CYCLING OF THE WEAPON EVERY ROUND. IS ANYONE ELSE RUNNING INTO THIS PROBLEM. I AM SERIOUSLY ABOUT TO GO BACK TO MY GLOCKS.

PAUL
If you go over to the Smith site you can find a link to all the problems these guns are having. Personally though I love their revolvers I've never had much interest in their semi-automatics. But there are real fans of this series who, despite all the known problems, treat people who dislike them pretty harshly. So if you ask questions be prepared for harsh answers.

As near as I could ever tell there was nothing special about these semi-automatics and no reason to believe that Smith worked out all the bugs.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
prebanpaul,

If you replaced the bulging magazine with a new one would that fix the problem?

Wont Smith & Wesson replace the clip at no charge?

If I had that many rounds through mine I would automatically replace the clips after about 1000 rounds before I had an issue. Smith says that they warrant the M&Ps for ever so they should make it good. If I am incorrect let me know because I am thinking of buying one.

gt40

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My smith problems have been solved. My two smiths work flawless now. And if you noticed they have changed the way that they make the 45acp magazines. These guns shoot fast. I think the problem is not the design of the gun but quality control. They cant keep up with the demand. I am selling alot more of them than Glocks right now.

Paul

1 - 20 of 22 Posts