Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bit the bullet last week and bought an S&W Model 39 on an auction site. I've owned 3 or 4 - 39's in the past but either sold or traded them away. It looks to be in really great condition and was made around 1970. This one is gonna be a keeper.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I had one for a while in 1968/69, then decided I didn't need a handgun and sold it. I have kicked myself ever since.....

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Oh, forgot to say that without photos, it never happened!

·
2,635 Posts
Congrats. I never owned one, but always thought they were one of S&W's better looking semi's, and liked they way the 39 feels in my hand. I had a chance at a 39 for a good price with the hard to find steel frame, and turned it down. Never said I was overly smart...

Larry

·
Premium Member
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Congrats. I never owned one, but always thought they were one of S&W's better looking semi's, and liked they way the 39 feels in my hand. I had a chance at a 39 for a good price with the hard to find steel frame, and turned it down. Never said I was overly smart...
Larry
Dang! That would've been a treasure to have, nowadays. I had both a nickel 39 NIB and a nickel 19 NIB as investments; but, they were lousy investments because nobody wanted nickel plated firearms since they looked like pimp guns. Bought a 39 from a cop when they changed over to the 59 and a friend wanted it, so it got sold. Found another 39 and a friend of guy that got the 1st 39 wanted it so I sold that one, too. When the cop I got the 1st one from wanted to sell his 59, I bought it. Kept it for about a year before trading it to a store for a Browning Hi Power and promptly fell in love with the Browning. Now, I still love the Brownings; but, I've been casting around for other pistols and I've come full circle back to where I started with the Model 39.

"Ex 49er do you promise to love and cherish this Model 39, to have and to hold until death do you part?"
" I do!"

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I have never owned a S&W Auto of any kind but always thought they were neat guns.
I have noticed in the past few months numerous 39 and 59 pistols showing up in gun shops. One of my friends bought a like new 59 for less than 350.
I don't know if some hold out agency finally transitioned or maybe loans to a foreign country coming back.

·
Premium Member
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It arrived on Monday. It's wearing almost all of its bluing. It came with only 1 magazine, so I'm gonna have to look for another; fortunately there is a gun show locally in a week and there might be one there. It comes home on Wednesday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts