Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold out to, China? I feel like that was a very stupid thing to do. Especially how Americans feel
about China right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Smithfield was bought by the Chinese back in 2013, I remember when that happened because my in-laws live in Virginia and there was a big to-do about it.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
I bought some way back when you could only get it on-line up here.
It was a huge disappointment; it was not better to not as good a the average Minn. grocery store low priced ham.
I have had some other hams, before shipping went through the roof, from Ham Country and it can be , WOW that is different and good -- to -- WOW -- you spent HOW MUCH for this!

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I believe the purchase was a response to the h1n1 (swine) flu outbreak. They were losing untold numbers of hogs and had to do something to protect their supply... maybe we need to buy a foreign TP factory...

Again working from memory, what they really got was modern genetics and systems. Something they just weren’t able to reverse engineer or steal, American pork producers knew what they had and protected it.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I found TP on amazon. I think it's those huge rolls you see in public establishments. Maybe, but it will still do the job...

https://www.homewhim.com/collections/hand-sanitizer/products/charmin-ultra-soft-cushiony-touch-toilet-paper-40-count-family-mega-rolls-205-regular-rolls

I must live the life of luxury, keeping the wife living as she’s become accustomed. Only 2ply for her... I steal the bulk stuff from the truck stops for my own home use.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

·
Registered
521 Posts
I steal the bulk stuff from the truck stops for my own home use.
So you're the one makin' my life tough on the porcelain! I'm a trucker. No worse feeling than to go in, drop trou, sit down, execute the battle plan then discover a tragic logistical failure behind the polished stainless steel...

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Not only do I use it I deliver it to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
This coulda been posted last week. Gotta Smithfield ham in der cooler. Hard to screw up pig though...

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I thought Smithfield had gone downhill in the last few years. Smithfield was once a premium brand, especially where hams are concerned.

Thanks, at least now I know where to not waste my money..

I have a feeling there is going to be a great deal of "China product resistance" once this situation subsides.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Smithfield is good but Edwards is way better. And with Smithfield there are different hams as to cure etc. They range in taste . Then there are guys who smoke their own and sell a few . These can be some of the best . When you go in the smoke house and pull one down covered in a blueish mold you got the real deal.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Read this last night...

Scarry. Gonna eat more venison here.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield_Foods#2013_purchase_by_Shuanghui_Group

But they did this in 2013. OMG, I could have been eating pork flavored dog meat lol
You haven't seen anything yet! Are you aware that the Chinese use prisoners for "organ donations"? What do you suppose they do with the

rest of the carcase? :tango_face_surprise :tango_face_wink: About a century ago, the nose-bone wearers in New Guinea, used to call it "long pig" !:tango_face_grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts