Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Topper Deluxe 12 guage with a modified choke and I wanted some suggestions on slugs for bear protection.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Only 2 choices as far as I'm concerned. The Brenneke or Brenneke-Rottwiel or for really BIG bears (or Water Buffalo, Rhino's or Elephants!!!) try some of those "Dixie Slugs", they weigh about 700+ grains and are hard cast and will penetrate more than any other slug I know of. The Dixie Slug "Tri-Ball" load has a lot of promise as a close deer load or a real stopper for bear. I think a slug for bear should be a full diameter slug, not a smaller diameter sabotted slug similar to a rifle bullet.....<><.... :grin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about the Brenneke slugs, but was not sure if there were any other ones out there.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I'd concur with MSP Ret. Can't really go wrong with the Breneke. I have no experience with the Dixie slugs but I think if I was going to use a single shot shotgun for bear I'd take a closer look at them. I have no bear hunting experience and I do love my single shots but I think I'd have a big calibre revolver for backup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts