Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just finished a naval carriage for this barrel. The carriage is wider than it is long because of the outside spread of the trunnions. 13"!!
The cheeks are 2.5" thick because this little gun has trunnions that are 2.125" diameter by 3.125" in length.
I'll post pictures of it with the barrel mounted when the owner sends them to me. I don't have the barrel.

Zulu

·
Super Moderator
16,843 Posts
I thought we had long thread on this cannon. It is the So called William Tichenor cannon associated with the sea captain who landed at Battle Rock, Port Orford, Oregon.

It has found a very nice carriage to rest upon. Well done Michael.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I don't know what those are.
Zulu
Lignum vitae is a wood of the Caribbean and South America. It was prized for its density and strength. It was used trucks, and the belaying pins on Constitution. Cricket balls were also made from it.

It became an endangered species and is difficult to get. Ifanyone has some at a reasonable price I’d be interested.

The carriage looks awesome!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Lignum vitae is a wood of the Caribbean and South America. It was prized for its density and strength. It was used trucks, and the belaying pins on Constitution. Cricket balls were also made from it.

It became an endangered species and is difficult to get. Ifanyone has some at a reasonable price I’d be interested.

The carriage looks awesome!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hop Hornbeam is right up there for hardness and strength. Peavey handles were sometimes made out of this stuff. Miserable stuff to work with. keep a stone handy for your chisles and gouges.
American Beech is not too far down the ladder for toughness.....another wood that is difficult to work. A lot of New England farms, in the day, had American Elm floors because it was such a tough wood. We don't have go out of the U.S. to find hard tough wood. Recall how 'Old Ironsides' got her nickname.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hop Hornbeam is right up there for hardness and strength. Peavey handles were sometimes made out of this stuff. Miserable stuff to work with. keep a stone handy for your chisles and gouges.
American Beech is not too far down the ladder for toughness.....another wood that is difficult to work. A lot of New England farms, in the day, had American Elm floors because it was such a tough wood. We don't have go out of the U.S. to find hard tough wood. Recall how 'Old Ironsides' got her nickname.
Old ironside was southern live oak

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Snake Barrel mounted on my carriage.
One of the issues I repeatedly face with older cast barrels is the inconsistency of the trunnion size.
The problems are slightly different diameters, egg shaped, outer end of the trunnion has a smaller diameter than the inner end, and occasionally, not the same distance from the muzzle face.

I have also had the same issues with some modern cast barrels.
I won't make capsquares different sizes so the only real solution is to go slightly larger so both sides fit.
No one wants to grind on their barrel and I can't make an egg shaped capsquare.

Cool pictures though. From the owner.
Zulu

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Would copper shims work to fill the space. I really don’t see a need, this is a fantastic job and I imagine it is for display.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would copper shims work to fill the space. I really don’t see a need, this is a fantastic job and I imagine it is for display.

I offer the option of using leather strips to fill the space.I think they would work well,
I can not control what anyone does with their cannon, although it does not make sense to me to fire something like this.
Zulu

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
I used double-sided velcro tape to take up the slack on the trunnions of my beer can mortar. I wound it around the trunnion and attached it to itself to 'shim' the hole. It slides off to clean the tube and back on afterwards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts