Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mentor of mine said you could judge a cook book quickly by going to the turtle section. If there was none. Put it down...

·
Registered
48 Posts
My grand dad always said the best way to dispatch one, was to let it get a hold of the the garden hose, then turn it on full bore.... they never let go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My grand dad always said the best way to dispatch one, was to let it get a hold of the the garden hose, then turn it on full bore.... they never let go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
That would be cleaning. My turtle hunting uncle would cut its head off then stuff the garden hose inside the neck, tie it to it and wait until it shot off the hose before cleaning. Looking for recipes...

·
Registered
63 Posts
After the beheading, flush if you will and then toss in a pot of boiling water to loosen the outer skin covering. Remove the outer skin covering and cut into 5 large pieces, being 4 legs and the neck. Pressure cook until tender and then batter and deep fry. This makes for some good eatin' cooter!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Makes a great soup.

IMO most of the turtle meat is a bit tough to be really good fried.

Cook it long, slow and wet till it is tender. Add some vegitables for flavor.
I've cleaned 2 big snappers in my life, don't think I have the patience left for a third.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Cut the meat into little pieces , coat with a fish batter you like and fry . It’s as good as fried chicken.
Exactly what we do. Popcorn chicken bite-sized pieces and bread with Cajun fish breading. Deep fried goodness!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had Turtle once in a restaurant, not bad but no urge to have it again.
I had frog legs more than once in a restaurant and they never met the quality of any me and my family brought fresh to the table. No comparison...

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any difference between the way you prepare an old turtle vs a young turtle?

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I prepare them all the same, pressure cook or slow cook until just fall off the bone. If you go too far it gets too tender and all of the vertebrate and bones fall apart. They lots of tiny bones and cartilage, so unless you like spitting them out, take it to just all off the bone. Then either deep fry or add mushroom gravy over rice or noodles.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I had frog legs more than once in a restaurant and they never met the quality of any me and my family brought fresh to the table. No comparison...
That's because most of the legs you get in restaurants are from China and grown in who knows what...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts