Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,m about to try some snaring for coyotes, and I would like some advice on what you use for supporting the snare. I saw this at several demos last summer but can't remember. :?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks newt. Do you use your wire straight off the roll, or treat it with formula 1 ?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Many of my snares are hung in open pasture country. In these instances I use stand outs made of 1/4 inch rod with 11 or 11.5 ga wire welder to the top. The rods are 30 inches long with a flatten "spear" point to keep them from rotating. The wire is 24 inches long. This set up lets you hang the snare over an open trail, and if the moon is right, bada bing your hanging coyotes. You will get refusals which can be fixed with a blind set down the trail but I have often taken 3 plus coyotes off the same set and only have to swap out snares and straighten the rod.

This set up was described to me by John Graham a couple of years ago and has made a big differnce in the number of locations I can snare.

Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like it would work great on the old logging roads around here. Thanks for the idea! I'll try that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I use the wire as it comes off the roll.And if the roll of wire gets rusted, I use it as it comes off the roll.
Have you ever heard of a fox or coyote not going under a fence because it's rusted ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Newt, while I am not an experienced canine trapper, I would think that when a coyote encounters the odor of rust in his trail today where it wasn't yesterday he may become cautious and stop to check it out. I just wondered what, if anything, you guys do to prevent this.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
There was an Old government trapper around these parts by the name of Crock; probably a contempary of Asa's father. When he was ask about rust and traps he would reply that the best way he new to keep a trap polished was to keep a Coyote in it.

I wonder if a coyote is smart enough to worry about rust when 99.99% of what it encounters is friendly. I'm with Newt when the wire is rusty I use it right off the spool just like when its new. Remember a snare is a blind set and works best if Ole Yoty is day dreaming.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yea,there Wackyquacker you got it!! Now on the other hand.Dig a hole put somehing good smelling in it.Now see how aleart the Ole Yote becomes.I like catching my fur when they are day dreaming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts