Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the 45-70 fever now that I have an H&R trapdoor. Over the years I have read here about all the fun folks have shooting collar buttons through their handis so I had to get myself a mold. So once the mold shows up, what next? I don't see a wealth of load data out for the little gallery bullet. Where do I look to find load info for this off the beaten track projectile?
Should I alox lube them, or use a traditional lube that fills the groove? Do I use filler over the powder, or set the button down on the powder? I'm planning on shooting smokeless because all the powder I own is smokeless.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Do you have any Trail Boss powder? That's what I would use, no filler needed. Either Alox or regular lube should work fine since you aren't worried about velocity. The IMR/Hodgdon website has load data for Trail Boss. They might not have data for the collar button but you could use data for the lightest bullet they show and work your way down to a velocity that you want.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I use a lot of Unique powder in my light rifle loads, but do have to ask a dumb question. You say you want a light load, but didn't say what you want t use it for. For what it's worth, while the load data above seems very interesting, it is much higher velocity than I would have expected. Granted, my molds cast bullets quite a bit heavier than your collar button, but I have taken hogs and deer with quite a bi less Unique than what they're listing for a start load. So are we talking hunting loads, target loads, and out to what kind of range? As an aside, you could find a lot of info on this over on the "cast boolit" forum, along with a bunch of other odd ideas that will keep you shooting and experimenting and having fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its either in the Ideal or lyman reloading manual here.
http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/reloaders-reference/reloading-manuals

I use a few grains of reddot for my collar button. I lube them with Alox. I am keeping them under 1000FPS. I got them to play with and to use on the little bushy tail critters when I am out deer hunting.

Most any fast burning pistol powder can be used for reduced loads. no fillers needed. Most are not position sensitive.

Another search you could do to help find a starting load would be "4570 round ball loads", "4570 gallery loads"

hope it helps

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
With a std. lenth barrel, I started with 6 gr. Unique with a roundball with pretty good luck. I use 10 gr. when I shot them from the 32" barrel bc. If you experiment with light loads, you should always check the barrel every shot to be sure everything exited.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.