Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trading for a 7.5" Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag. I've owned several Ruger sixguns, including more than a few Blackhawks and a Super Redhawk, but never a regular Redhawk. I've always wanted a 5" version, but I think I'll be content with a 7.5 specimen.

So, who else shoots a Redhawk? Would it be considered stronger than a Super Blackhawk?

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I don't know if the Redhawk is any stronger than the super blackhawk. But I know I shot the same loads in my Redhawk as I do in my Super Redhawk and Super blackhawk 44 MAG's. I like the look of the Redhawk over the Super Redhawk. I could not make that decision either, so I opted for them all. :D

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
In the 2004 (and maybe the 2005) catalog one of the selling points was that the Redhawk had a thicker topstrap and a cylinder that had a longer length and larger diameter than that of the Blackhawk. I suppost one could translate that information to mean that yes, the Redhawk and SRH are "stronger."

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a redhawk with a 7.5" barrel. It's a great gun. fun to shoot. I prefer that over the SRH as far as the looks of the gun and you'll still beable to shoot the heaviest of loads from Garrett out of it if you can handle such a heavy load.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have 2 Redhawks, a 7.5" scoped, a 5.5" at the factory having the barrel turned back from twisting, and a 7.5" SBH. To me if I would have bought the Redhawk first I would never gone thru 629's, Taurus 44, and the SBH. The 5" is a field carry gun, the 7.5 a hunting piece all in 44.
Jim

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like mine alot and think its one of the best looking da's avalible. Many people think their trigger is the one week point they have. I would agree with that aswell since I can almost shoot it more accurately DA then SA. By design super RH's have a much smoother trigger than the RH and there isnt any poor boy trigger job you can perform like BH's. I like the balance and grips though and you can shoot the heaviest Garret hammerheads in it. Good luck!

·
Registered
578 Posts
trigger

About the trigger job...I have a Redhawk and would like to have the trigger worked on. Any recommendations? Is it a job to let a local smith work on it, or should I send it off to a nationally know smith?

·
Registered
782 Posts
redhawk vs Super Blackhawk

If you're worrying about whether your Redhawk is stronger than your Blackhawk, you're already past the point of sanity with the load.

·
Registered
782 Posts
redhawk vs Super Blackhawk

If you're worrying about whether your Redhawk is stronger than your Blackhawk, you're already past the point of sanity with the load.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My first Redhawk was a scoped 41 7.5", the barrel looked like ten miles of bad road but it shot just fine. Groups over 1.5" at 25 yards were an abherration. My current Redhawk is a 44 Mag, I like hot Specials in it, mostly for fun shooting, soda cans at 50 yards. If I do my part, they go flying, with large holes in them. Good grips that fit your hand are VERY important, they can kick some. Buy it, shoot it a lot, and try to wear it out. I dare ya. There will be an awful lot of fun between the time you start and the time you realize it's never gonna happen!

Papajohn

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
:cb2: Had a 5.5" Redhawk and it was probably the most accurate .44 I've ever owned. Put the gold bead front sight with the V notch rear on it and loved it. As others have said, it looks great, too. However, it really hurt my hand to shoot. Traded it for a Bisley. Can't imagine anything being stronger short of a Super Redhawk. Think you're gonna really love it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My Redhawk 44 mag has a 5.5" barrel, shoots tight groups. my Blackhawk 45 Colt has a 7.5" barrel and can shoot the 240gr bullet faster then my Redhawk. It is very accurate also. Hope you enjoy your new gun. :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
In the morning I will be looking at a used but nice 7.5" 44 with Pachmayr grips for $399. Years ago I had a 5.5" in 44, wish I still had it. If I buy this one I'll load it anywhere from mouse-fart to moose-fare, and I'll hang on to it this time!

·
Registered
431 Posts
With a little (very little) coaxing from my friend, I picked-up that 7.5 44Mag Redhawk today. Range report to follow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just put a 44 mag 7.5" redhawk on layaway. It has a Leupold m8 4x scope. It has some blueing damage on the barrel, but I couldn't pass it up for $262.00! I was looking for a handgun scope for the scout mount on my K-31.

Question, can I dry fire it?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Jeez, BJA, where did you come up with a deal like that? I don't have much use for another Redhawk right now, but if I'd seen that deal, I'd have jumped on it too! Nice going!

Papajohn

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have .44 and .45 Redhawks with 5 ½” barrels, and a .44 Super Redhawk with a 6” barrel. I like them all, but it is easier to get a nice single action trigger pull on the Super Redhawk. All of them need a little breaking in as well. Sometimes the barrels are a little rough. All shoot well. The Redhawks have Pachmayer grips, while the Super Redhawk has the original grips.
The cylinders of the Redhawks are 1.780” in diameter, while the Blackhawk series is 1.730”. They have the same chamber circle, so the Redhawk/SuperRedhawk have a little more wall thickness. I like to think of it as enhanced safety margin, that I have no thought of using. I have no intention loading my .45 Redhawk like the Linebaugh 5 shooters or the .454 Casull.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts