Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since NEF rifles are easily disassembled, why use a full length soft case for transporting them? I'd love to have a decent SHORT carrying case for my Handi rifle. Something with two seperate compartments to prevent scratches atc.

I've seen one for shotguns, but there wasn't enough space for a scoped barrel. Anybody know where to get a soft case that will hold a disassembled Handi rifle?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Versa-Pack® Carrying Case
Padded nylon carrying case with silk-screened NEF® logo. Measures approximately 25" x 9".

That won't fit an Ultra rifle. My Ultra barrel is 24" and the whole bag is only 25" long. But remember that your scope hangs off the breech end a few inches, so there definately won't be room for a scoped Ultra barrel. It sounds like there might not be enough room for a 22" barrel either.

Does anybody actually have one of those cases?

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I've got one, don't work for scoped barrels. Too short.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thought you might be interested to know about my cases. I've got a couple of that look like this:

Top (smaller one) is labelled 28" on its tag. (All the pics below are of this one.) The larger case is labelled 32"and easily holds a Topper with 20ga 28" bbl.

This is the smaller case open. In the compartments (from top to bottom) are Buttstock, receiver and forend, then a .308 Ultra scoped barrel, and in the bottom compartment a 357mag barrel.
There is a bit of fiddling required around the scope adjustment covers to fit the scoped barrel into the center compartment but it is easily enough to accomplish.

Component parts are laid out on top of compartments to show how they are inserted in previous picture.
*Note: in the top pic of the two cases, the smaller one is zipped closed and actually contains the components shown.

This is a pic of the only markings I find on these cases. I don't know specifically who made them as there are no other markings or logos on the cases. I got them at a local gun show from a vendor of cases and holsters who shows up rather regularly.

I would like to be able to give you guys a link or contact number, but as of this moment I can't. All I can do is connect with this guy at the next gun show (Sept or Oct?) and see what I can find out.

Cheers
Kerry

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Yep, thats about what we are looking for. Keep us informed if you find out who/where we could get them. Thanks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Man, Tallyho, i've been looking for a case like that for a long time where did you get that? I've got to order one.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Varminter, take a deep breath. :wink:

I hate to sound like an old grump (actually I don't. :-D :-D :-D ) but read the whole posting.... this is the last paragraph which deals with your very question..
I would like to be able to give you guys a link or contact number, but as of this moment I can't. All I can do is connect with this guy at the next gun show (Sept or Oct?) and see what I can find out.
If/when I get info on these things, I'll letcha all know.

Cheers
Kerry

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dang, i done it again. i need to read all of the post before i reply. I sure would like to have one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whoever finds a source for soft bags like that, please let the rest of us know! Much appreciated!

I remember seeing something similar at a Sportsman's Wherehouse about a year ago, but I wasn't into NEF rifles at that time. I just remember thinking "Oh, you could take a rifle apart and put it in there". I'm sure it was on the rack next to the shotgun carrying cases.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Those cases are longer than the one I got from NEF. Mine has the NEF logo on one side, and a flap that folds over to keep everything in the pockets. But it is too short for a scoped barrel. I'll try and find it and post a pic so you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I hate (actually I don't :-D :-D :-D ) to stir the pot about this, but those cases I mentioned above cost me about $25 each (the larger was a couple of bucks more than the smaller one) and have THREE separate compartments. That is what I wanted for the same reason many of y'all want them, to carry ONE buttstock and frame and TWO barrels.

And that was the original specification I responded to from 'myarmour'
would love to have a small case where I could carry my Handi and a scoped second barrel.
I never realized how hard it was to find such a thing until I ccame across this thread. I too started looking at various cataloges and websites, but so far still haven't found this kind of case. Only found them from this one guy at the gun show, and I don't even know if he is local!

If I had known then what I know now about the difficulty in finding these, I would have let y'all know months ago! :cry: I figured at the time that they were pretty common and a lot of Handiholics probably had them already.

So, again, I will do what I can to find out how to get these and letcha all know when I have some info.

Cheers
Kerry

·
Registered
539 Posts
If the one shaner post isn't it, it will do just as well. Good job shaner!

Black Nylon Case, with one piece 1 1/2" wrap around handles, 3/4" inner padding, plush inside lining. Case measures 10 1/2" x 36"; it has two pockets inside for barrels and one pocket for action. Lockable.

#92 Black Nylon BDSG $29.40

Also available in Fabric; all the same features, as above, except outer material is industrial grade fabric in Earth tone colors.
#392 Fabric BDSG $25.90

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That last pic from ACE looks CLOSE to what we need. But see how the rear of the stock sticks out so far? And the barrels stick out so far? SURELY they'll rub against each other when the case is zipped shut. That's a quick way to ruin a stock!

The Handi stocks are a lot shorter than a standard shotgun stock/action so maybe that won't be an issue. I don't think those barrel pockets are wide enough for a scoped barrel though. Maybe somebody can call and ask them if they can just make that side one large pocket instead of two thin pockets. Who wants to call on Monday?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts