Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, maybe I'm a cheapskate, but I hate is when I have to dip my patches in the Butch's Boreshine and Hoppe's No. 9 bottles and completely soake the patch, only to have it squeezed out when I run it down my bore guide and it drips all over. I've looked at buying solvent bottles, but they're $3 a piece and I had a brilliant thought last night. I wear contacts and go through the solution bottles constantly. Most are 2-8 oz. bottles, perfect for cleaning solvents, right? So would the gun solvents eat the plastic in my used solution bottles or would they work perfectly? If I used them, I'd have a tip on it so I can put the solvent exactly where I want it and control the amount that goes on the patch without wasting it, they are sealed so it won't evaporate out, and I've already paid for them. Am I crazy or brilliant, what do you think?
Selmer

·
Registered
21 Posts
bottles

I use the printer ink cartridge refill bottles. They have a screw on lid with a long steel tube attached to the lid that was used to pump the ink into the cartridge. I fill em up with bore cleaner and use the tube to squirt bore cleaner where ever (down the bore, on a brush, on a patch) Works great. and my girlfrriend doesnt freak because the bore cleaner took the finish off the coffee table.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Solvent bottles, a little off topic, but...

I learn something new every day from you folks. The solvent problem was one that I had accepted as just a bothersome deal (without ever really thinking about it.)

Contact soulution bottles are a great idea! If the solvent dissolves the bottle, all you've lost is a little bit of solvent and a bottle that was going into the trash anyway. Brilliant!

Thanks for the ideas...

The Blade

·
Registered
257 Posts
Solvent bottles, a little off topic, but...

I like that idea Selmer, however I agree with that labeling the bottle. I once put isopropyl alcohol in a visine bottle and carried it in my fanny pack while hunting. Always worked well for cleaning my glasses or scope and binocular lens's until I goofed and squeezed a couple of drops of it onto a contact lens. Needless to say I figured that one out real quick. The girl at the Optomitrist's office just shook her head when I asked her to order a new toric lens.

Frog :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.