Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More basic questions.

I have a .30 cal, 165gr SP mold from LBT - beautiful casting mold dropping at .314

My Lee .308 Win seating die will only allow a .310 sized bullet ( measured with a micrometer ) to fit through the opening to reach the bullet seater.

Should I hone the opening to accept the larger .314 bullets?

Would that degrade the die from accurately seating jacketed .308 bullets?

Would it be better to buy another seating die and hone it for .314 bullets?

Neck expansion - I'm using a Lyman .30 cal M die to expand the neck.

Should I be worried about the .314 bullet being sized down by the neck when seating?

Solution?

A bigger expanding button? Does Lyman make them? Or custom made?

·
Registered
403 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you're going to use the bullets as cast at .314"?

Are you tumble lubing these or using a lube/sizer?

Have you slugged the barrel to determine the actual bore size?

The reason I ask the above questions is that in most, but not all, of my .30 caliber barrels I size to .310".

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If your fired case is .310 inside try just barely belling the mouth to remove any crimp and seat a bullet sized to .311 if thats too much try .310 if you can seat like this and have decent neck tension with cast bullet why would you bother to resize? after you get a bullet seated try chambering in the rifle as long as it chamber easily you should be good to go. If you slug your barrel and it is bigger than the largest bullet you can fit in a fired case you may want to have the throat opened for a larger diameter bullet to fit that barrel but most likely it will be the same or smaller which is good to go. So what you end up with is decap your fired case, insert primer powder, seat bullet lightly crimp go shoot. no re sizing at all! One of the guys on here Gcrank i think has been promoting this method for years and I found it to work on a couple of my rifles. It is my favorite cast loading procedure. Good luck.

·
2,656 Posts
Czech_too said:
If I understand you correctly, you're going to use the bullets as cast at .314"?

Are you tumble lubing these or using a lube/sizer?

Have you slugged the barrel to determine the actual bore size?

The reason I ask the above questions is that in most, but not all, of my .30 caliber barrels I size to .310".

The above post is spot on. Unless you have an oversized bore, you should be sizing your bullets to .310. .001 to .002 over bore is a good rule of thumb for cast bullet shooting. You could modify your seating die, and use an oversized expander ball to handle .314 bullets, but why? Just resize your bullets to the proper diameter. Loading a bottle necked case without resizing it will eventually lead to chambering problems, especially with a gun that does not have the camming power of a bolt action. You want to at least size enough to ensure proper neck tension and smooth chambering in your particular gun. How long you can get away without sizing your brass before you have chambering difficulties is dependant on your rifles chamber, and how hot you are loading.

Larry

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you are going to load .311 + sized cast bullets in your .308W and the Lee seater won't take them just get a 7.62x54R Lee seater and use it for seating the larger diameter bullets. That way you still have the unmodified .308W seater for standard .308 diameter bullets.

Larry Gibson

·
Registered
282 Posts
+1 on what Larry said. I shoot .311" dia. cast bullets out of my 30-30 & 300 Sav. and can seat them with the standard seater die in the RCBS and Lyman die sets,not sure how large a bullet they will seat since I have no need to go larger.

I believe my RCBS 54r seater die will seat a bullet up to .316" with no problems,but I use a cast bullet sized and checked to .314"in the Mosin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts